AMD Publishes Initial Open-Source Linux Driver Code For "Beige Goby"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Initial Open-Source Linux Driver Code For "Beige Goby"

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Initial Open-Source Linux Driver Code For "Beige Goby"

AMD has published initial open-source Linux graphics driver code for a new GPU dubbed Beige Goby...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really hard to get excited about any new GPUs unless you're buying a full OEM system and willing to wait a month or more for delivery. That's really the only way to get hold of one of new or recent generation GPUs for anything resembling a decent price. Even the AMD 5500XT boards are selling for 3-4x the price I bought mine at just over a year ago thanks to scalpers, and they're no powerhouse GPU. I can only hope no components in my systems go bad in the next 2 years or they'll be impossible to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      Really hard to get excited about any new GPUs unless you're buying a full OEM system and willing to wait a month or more for delivery. That's really the only way to get hold of one of new or recent generation GPUs for anything resembling a decent price. Even the AMD 5500XT boards are selling for 3-4x the price I bought mine at just over a year ago thanks to scalpers, and they're no powerhouse GPU. I can only hope no components in my systems go bad in the next 2 years or they'll be impossible to replace.
      Fortunately I didn't sell my retired graphics cards so I can at least keep my computer working when some card went wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        Tell me about it. I quit playing games in actual 4K just so I'm not pushing my 580 too hard. I integer scale 1080p into 4K. When I built my current system in February I bought a grey market R5 4650G APU just in case my GPU dies because I know I'm not going to pay the prices they cost now. I'm glad I bought my APU when I did. $290 after taxes and shipping. They're $300 and up before all that now.

Comment

they don't have any plan for low end GPU like nvidia gt 1030 or 1050

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
            Rumors on Twitter suggest that "Beige Goby" will have 14 CU, 4 GB RAM and a 64 bit memory interface. That is a low end card by 2021 standards, performance might be halfway between the best AMD APUs and a RX 5500XT. Also, TDP might be below 75W so it can also fill that niche.

Meanwhile the GT 1030 is obsolete, as both AMD's and Intel's IGP have reached a performance that makes a GT 1030 redundant. At best, it might have a role in systems that have neither IGP nor a need for fast graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Tell me about it. I quit playing games in actual 4K just so I'm not pushing my 580 too hard. I integer scale 1080p into 4K. When I built my current system in February I bought a grey market R5 4650G APU just in case my GPU dies because I know I'm not going to pay the prices they cost now. I'm glad I bought my APU when I did. $290 after taxes and shipping. They're $300 and up before all that now.
              You're not alone. The unavailability of the more affordable (and lower power consumption!) GPUs does make especially the higher-end Ryzen APUs more attractive, as if they weren't on the basis of Zen prowess already.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post

You're not alone. The unavailability of the more affordable (and lower power consumption!) GPUs does make especially the higher-end Ryzen APUs more attractive, as if they weren't on the basis of Zen prowess already.
                And they really aren't all that bad. Mine handles a fully flashy 4K Plasma desktop running stuff like Firefox, LibreOffice, SMPlayer, Yakuake, Kate just as well as my dGPU. I don't notice a difference between the iGPU and dGPU until I try to play games. If a person isn't a gamer, video editor, or something along those lines, APUs, especially 3000/4000 and up, should be fully sufficient for their needs.

I don't recommend trying to play the newest of games on it in 1080p+ high, but it holds its own in regards to emulation and plays some newer stuff around 720p-1080p with fudged around settings...and integer scaling is your friend with APUs (especially if you have a hires display). IMHO, AMD should ship an integer scaling to resolution spreadsheet with them as well as implement some sort of border overlay ability like emulators have. I think it'd be cool to replace the black border with an old wood grain TV box or a performance metric overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                  Like means above

Comment

Not getting excited about any GPU news right now. For once I am currently fine, but on the other hand: Show me any available GPU APU or something like that in a reasonable price range. It's all COVID excuses and fvcking miners. Apparently there is even a HDD shortage for some Chia bullsh1t crypro stuff right now. When will people learn that crypto currencies are silly and just a horrible waste of environmental resources?

(If they'd at least calculate something useful, molecule foldings against cancer or something, whatever.)
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X