Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROCm AOMP 13.0 Released For OpenMP Offloading To Radeon GPUs

Phoronix: ROCm AOMP 13.0 Released For OpenMP Offloading To Radeon GPUs

AOMP 13.0 is out today as the first update to AMD's Radeon OpenMP offloading compiler since AOMP 11.0 last December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AOMP is part of the Radeon Open eCosystem (ROCm)
    ROCm stands for Radeon Open Compute. The "m" I'm unsure of, ROCr is the "r"untime, ROCt is the "t"unk driver which relays to ROCk, the "k"ernel mode driver. ROCm is the collective of user "m"ode (?) components. Summoning bridgman about the ethimology of the letter "m".

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
      ROCm stands for Radeon Open Compute. The "m" I'm unsure of, ROCr is the "r"untime, ROCt is the "t"unk driver which relays to ROCk, the "k"ernel mode driver. ROCm is the collective of user "m"ode (?) components. Summoning bridgman about the ethimology of the letter "m".
      The "m" came from "platform", ie Radeon Open Compute platforM. That said, I'm told there was some kind of trademark collision (despite all the dancing with lawyers that happens before we start using a name) and so the platform name was changed.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post

It used to stand for Radeon Open Compute, but these days it's Radeon Open eCosystem.... To the extent that the change was relayed to me by request of AMD's lawyers (and changed it for past articles(. That said it still baffles me why their GitHub account is under Radeon Open Compute when I raised that to them when I was first asked to make the change if their GitHub was overlooked or what.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The "m" came from "platform", ie Radeon Open Compute platforM. That said, I'm told there was some kind of trademark collision (despite all the dancing with lawyers that happens before we start using a name) and so the platform name was changed.
          Facebook Open Compute :/
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I'm told there was some kind of trademark collision
            ROC => Race Of Champions?

Comment

Working...
            X