No announcement yet.

Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay!, 9.4 doesn't work with kernel 2.6.29. Huuray for AMD and their great "Linux" "support". When are you guys going to support Linux and not some distributions?

Comment

Originally posted by kensai View Post
      Yay!, 9.4 doesn't work with kernel 2.6.29. Huuray for AMD and their great "Linux" "support". When are you guys going to support Linux and not some distributions?
      What are you complaning about? 9.4 isn't released yet.

Comment

Yep, just to be clear, the Ubuntu driver is an early branch off what will become the 9.4 release, not the final 9.4 release itself.
        Test signature

Comment

Did somebody ever try to play a video with a res like 1280x536 which shows about a 8 pixel green bar. xv seems to work only when the res % 16 is 0.

Comment

Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
            I always reboot after installing catalyst, so this should not be the issue.

Now I also tried to remove /etc/ati on opensuse before installing the 9.2 version of catalyst... still crashes...
            I'm sure its trying to run your X in 8 bit, which fglrx doesn't support

Just add this to you "screen section" of fglrx:
            Code:
            Section "Screen"
                    Identifier      "Default Screen"
                    Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
                    Device          "Configured Video Device"
                    DefaultDepth    24
            EndSection
            My X crashed also after downgrading fglrx from 9.4. It now works, becuase of the DefaultDepth 24 line.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
              I'm sure its trying to run your X in 8 bit, which fglrx doesn't support
              Unfortunately the "DefaultDepth" is already set to 24 in my xorg.conf.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post
                What are you complaning about? 9.4 isn't released yet.
                Is just I'm used to it, 9.4 will be the exact same driver ubuntu has now. Count on it. Maybe, maybe they will add kernel 2.6.29 support. But it basically is what it is now. Remember is AMD/ATI.

Comment

Every since Catalyst 8.12, I have a problem that whenever the X server gets restarted, the system will lock up. Someone figured out that unloading and then reloading the fgrlx module before the X server is started again will fix it, and seems to be working for me. Might this be fixed in Catalyst 9.3 or 9.4?

(I have a Toshiba Satellite M305-S4830 with a Radeon 3100 and I am running Arch 64, but it does this on other Linux distros, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Wintervenom View Post
                    Every since Catalyst 8.12, I have a problem that whenever the X server gets restarted, the system will lock up. Someone figured out that unloading and then reloading the fgrlx module before the X server is started again will fix it, and seems to be working for me. Might this be fixed in Catalyst 9.3 or 9.4?

(I have a Toshiba Satellite M305-S4830 with a Radeon 3100 and I am running Arch 64, but it does this on other Linux distros, too.)
                    I have restarted X once since I have 9.4, and restarted X by accident, I feared it will lockup like all catalyst drivers do, but even thought the error that gets the screen locked was there, the X server restarted fine. So hopefully this will get fixed miraculously, as always. Thats the best chance we have.

Comment

Originally posted by kensai View Post
                      Is just I'm used to it, 9.4 will be the exact same driver ubuntu has now. Count on it. Maybe, maybe they will add kernel 2.6.29 support. But it basically is what it is now. Remember is AMD/ATI.
                      Uhm no it isn't. There is A LOT of technologies which isn't included in the ubuntu driver. Trust me, I have tried both. The now released 9.3, is much more similar to the 9.4 beta, than "9.4" from ubuntu's repo

Comment

Working...
                      X