Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State Of ROCm For HPC In Early 2021 With CUDA Porting Via HIP, Rewriting With OpenMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    We use the same chip for 32GB MI50/MI60 parts, so a 32GB workstation part should be fine.
    ok even if i had the money and want to buy it i do not even know how?

the only 32GB AMD card i can find is this: https://geizhals.de/amd-firepro-w910...loc=at&hloc=de

really... i really unterstand why so many people can not find any highend amd gpu....

why can AMD not sell it on the open market ?

i searched MI100 in the past and could not find one i found this link in the phoronix forum:

Shop Electronics Deals and get huge savings with our Sale on Monitors, Docking Stations, Webcams, Audio & more at Dell.com.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think that presumes that AMD actually wanted to sell lots of VII cards, which I'm not certain is the case. I think they viewed it more as an experiment with TSMC's 7nm node...
      IDK about that. The VII was pretty much an Mi50 card with some features fused off. Mi50 was the real AMD HPC/AI card until Mi100 was announced (since the Mi60 was effectively withdrawn).

(edit) and, you, know a 3 fan HSF bolted on.

Comment

• Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
        IDK about that. The VII was pretty much an Mi50 card with some features fused off. Mi50 was the real AMD HPC/AI card until Mi100 was announced (since the Mi60 was effectively withdrawn).
        Exactly... it was designed as a server/workstation card, but we found that the extra memory bandwidth made it perform quite a bit better relative to Vega10 than the clock differences alone would have suggested. We didn't have anything in that range at the time and Navi10 was still some time off, so Radeon VII was introduced.
        Test signature

Comment

Exactly... it was designed as a server/workstation card, but we found that the extra memory bandwidth made it perform quite a bit better relative to Vega10 than the clock differences alone would have suggested. We didn't have anything in that range at the time and Navi10 was still some time off, so Radeon VII was introduced.
          Looks like the Radeon VII opened up a whole can of worms for you! Naughty card with all that FP64 causing all sorts of yokels to start pounding the table.... mixed blessing for AMD I guess. "The data centre card that got away...."

Comment

• Originally posted by vegabook View Post
            Looks like the Radeon VII opened up a whole can of worms for you! Naughty card with all that FP64 causing all sorts of yokels to start pounding the table.... mixed blessing for AMD I guess. "The data centre card that got away...."
            Yeah, from an AMD perspective it would have been cleaner if we had just shipped it with 1/16th FP64 like the other consumer cards, but on the other hand from a customer POV it was nice to see something that could replace Tahiti as a consumer-priced card with decent FP64.

IIRC Tahiti (eg 7970) was just under 1TF FP64, while Radeon VII was a bit over 3TF.
            Last edited by bridgman; 24 February 2021, 01:41 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

• The last time I bought any thing NVidia was when I bought an AMD CPU/NVidia GPU HP laptop installed with Vista. I would have taken AMD graphics at the time but they weren't available. But I am going to stop looking for a 6800XT and start looking for an NVidia card.

Comment

Yeah, from an AMD perspective it would have been cleaner if we had just shipped it with 1/16th FP64 like the other consumer cards, but on the other hand from a customer POV it was nice to see something that could replace Tahiti as a consumer-priced card with decent FP64.

IIRC Tahiti (eg 7970) was just under 1TF FP64, while Radeon VII was a bit over 3TF.
                Yeah I certainly jumped on the Radeon VII when I saw its FP64 it was like a gift from heaven because anything similar was 4 grand at the time. This Radeon VII will be a legendary card for many years to come - a standout device that escaped from oversegmentation. Long Live Radeon VII !! (by the way they now cost double to triple what they cost at launch, because of their unparalleled 100MH/s ether mining power. Who knew that GPUs could go UP in price over time. Kinda miss GCN it was a real deal floating point beast).

Comment

believe me if i can not find the AMD cards on price search like geizhals.de then your company really does something wrong.
                  it is used in many countries like geizhals.at or geizhals.eu and also used from many magacines like PCGH price search they use the same.
                  for month i searched for mi100 no result... mi 50 no result radeon 7 pro no result... and all the nvidia cards are there..

are you something like insane to let nvidia take all the public from price search websites like geizhals ???

just try it yourself: https://geizhals.eu/?cat=gra16_512&xf=132_32768

in my experience even if people don't buy products they use this to search your products and read the commends and read the linked articles and also watch the specs of the cards and more.

really whats wrong with AMD PR ? don't send phoronix a 6900XT... don't have visibility on geizhals.

its really like AMD PR is non existent or what.

Comment

• Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                    Yeah I certainly jumped on the Radeon VII when I saw its FP64 it was like a gift from heaven because anything similar was 4 grand at the time. This Radeon VII will be a legendary card for many years to come - a standout device that escaped from oversegmentation. Long Live Radeon VII !! (by the way they now cost double to triple what they cost at launch, because of their unparalleled 100MH/s ether mining power. Who knew that GPUs could go UP in price over time. Kinda miss GCN it was a real deal floating point beast).
                    i think all of this is wrong: conspirancy theory (what is mostly right)

my theory is: they allways do this with new tech/new architectur / new software stack they bring it very cheap to bring the hardware to interested developers to catch some attention from developers they try and test the hardware and report bugs and help to improve the opensource software and help to establish the ROCm stack

and how to catch the compute people in HPC ? you push out a card high on FP64...

and as soon as the ROCm stack works well you just cut of the cheap hardware no more 700€ radeon7 now you have to pay 2000€ sure it has ECC ram and is even more faster but you get the point.

conspirancy theory: maybe there is no charity in this business at all and maybe this was not true: "escaped from oversegmentation" they just catched the right people interested in ROCm and HPC.

and after the testing and developing job of ROCm was over the free lunch was over and prise goes from 700 to 2000...

who knows ?...

do you remember the phenom II 550 X2 ? i had a Phenom II X4 B50 this cpu was never released it was a dualcore cheated and tricket into 4core...

and event his... I do not believe this was an accident it was a hard time for AMD they lost big against the core cpu from intel

and all the X3 goes to X4 for free and all the X2 goes to X4 for free was very soon no more free lunch because the price of the X2 and X3 skyrocked to a level it is not even anymore profitable to to the cheat at all. only the early adobters of this cheat get free lunch from doing so.

so all your talk about legendary card... the Phenom II X4 B50 was a legendary cpu at that time and i had one of these...

but I do not believe in any free lunch in computer chip business for the last 40 years because they need PR

i tell you what... do you think Intel sold more or less cpus because of the X4 B50 hack ?

O yes this will surprise you and it is realy the super joke people did even buy more intel cpu because of all the media PR coverage of the X4 B50 hack.

its because people have old single core cpu they read about 4core hack ... they think shit i am still on only 1 core...

they go and buy a 4core... they don't care about the B50 hack at all.

yes our world is stupid like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

i think all of this is wrong: conspirancy theory (what is mostly right)

my theory is: they allways do this with new tech/new architectur / new software stack they bring it very cheap to bring the hardware to interested developers to catch some attention from developers they try and test the hardware and report bugs and help to improve the opensource software and help to establish the ROCm stack

and how to catch the compute people in HPC ? you push out a card high on FP64...

and as soon as the ROCm stack works well you just cut of the cheap hardware no more 700€ radeon7 now you have to pay 2000€ sure it has ECC ram and is even more faster but you get the point.

conspirancy theory: maybe there is no charity in this business at all and maybe this was not true: "escaped from oversegmentation" they just catched the right people interested in ROCm and HPC.

and after the testing and developing job of ROCm was over the free lunch was over and prise goes from 700 to 2000...

who knows ?...

do you remember the phenom II 550 X2 ? i had a Phenom II X4 B50 this cpu was never released it was a dualcore cheated and tricket into 4core...

and event his... I do not believe this was an accident it was a hard time for AMD they lost big against the core cpu from intel

and all the X3 goes to X4 for free and all the X2 goes to X4 for free was very soon no more free lunch because the price of the X2 and X3 skyrocked to a level it is not even anymore profitable to to the cheat at all. only the early adobters of this cheat get free lunch from doing so.

so all your talk about legendary card... the Phenom II X4 B50 was a legendary cpu at that time and i had one of these...

but I do not believe in any free lunch in computer chip business for the last 40 years because they need PR

i tell you what... do you think Intel sold more or less cpus because of the X4 B50 hack ?

O yes this will surprise you and it is realy the super joke people did even buy more intel cpu because of all the media PR coverage of the X4 B50 hack.

its because people have old single core cpu they read about 4core hack ... they think shit i am still on only 1 core...

they go and buy a 4core... they don't care about the B50 hack at all.

yes our world is stupid like that.
                      Perhaps you're right, but also perhaps, that they just needed to rush a fast product out the door and had this brand new 7njm HPC chip on the shelves and presto, quickly push out a fast card with little or no R&D cos you're just pushing out your datacentre product with a different casing. Keep yourself in sight of the high end buying time for Navi. Remember AMD at the time was getting a lot of flak on Vega/Koduri etc so this one needed to be better fast.

Comment

Working...
                      X