No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance Nearly Three Months After Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok sorry for being a little off topic here, but watching at the results of the 5700 xt, is my "poor" 5600 XT running on the old Linux 5.9.10 with mesa 20.2.3 expected to gain a good 10% overral by just updating?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      im also curious about the power consumption compare to nvidia.
      It appears to me as if Phoronix does only log data from the the GPU driver's power sensor. This is misleading, as Nvidia power is whole board, whereas AMD is only GPU ASIC. I mentioned this to Michael in the past, but afair didn't get an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Except you can't buy them anywhere now. Still waiting for Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT to be available.
        I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT (bought it in a local store at Toronto). Unfortunately, it doesn't work well with my environment (Linux 5.10.x, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Ryzen 3900XT).
        There are random crashes and hangs, starting with *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=102772, emitted seq=102775 in dmesg, then black screen. (From kernel log I see amdgpu is tring to restart but not successful)
        It happens randomly, in wine, firefox, or just emacs. So annoying that I am considering to switch to Leap 15.2 and try amdgpu-pro.

Comment

Originally posted by xzhao View Post

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT (bought it in a local store at Toronto). Unfortunately, it doesn't work well with my environment (Linux 5.10.x, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Ryzen 3900XT).
          There are random crashes and hangs, starting with *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=102772, emitted seq=102775 in dmesg, then black screen. (From kernel log I see amdgpu is tring to restart but not successful)
          It happens randomly, in wine, firefox, or just emacs. So annoying that I am considering to switch to Leap 15.2 and try amdgpu-pro.
          Sounds bad. Is it a hardware problem? I know Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT suffers from the same issue.

Did you report the problem to amdgpu bug tracker? https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues

Comment

My brother's reference design RX 6800 has been fully stable so far on Arch with a R5 3600X (+ mesa-git), as is my MSI Gaming 5700 XT in my 6700k system.

Comment

I managed to get hold of an AsRock Phantom Gaming RX 6800 (non XT) model from a local shop last week. They also had the XT model but that required 3x 8pin connectors which I cannot afford to get a new PSU too.

Working fine so far - (Debian 9, Ryzen 5800X, Kernel 5.10.12, Mesa 20.3.4)

Comment

Daym, look at that Radeon VII go!

Comment

This is why I game at 1080p. With Ryzen 5 3600 and an Rx 5700, benchmarks don't matter - every game plays at 144 Hz on my FreeSync display!

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    Here in the USA, nothing is in stock except for three+ year old cards. The Radeon RX 570 I bought a couple of years ago for $140.00 US is now running $600-$800 US.

Is it the miners? Is it 45's tariffs? Is it the universe telling us we should just shut up, be satisfied with our old cards and be terribly, terribly jealous of Michael who hasn't actually played a video game in 15 years?

I know, Michael has better things to do than play video games.
                    Not only is NOTHING IN STOCK, but when things do come into Stock, the retailers are marking them up 2x.... $1200 for a 6800XT on Newegg?? C'mon!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Sounds bad. Is it a hardware problem? I know Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT suffers from the same issue.

Did you report the problem to amdgpu bug tracker? https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues
                      I have created a bug report:https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1469

Sadly I feel difficult to locate the issue to component, e.g. not sure whether it is amdgpu, kernel, or mesa...

Comment

Working...
                      X