Radeon RX 6800 Series Linux Performance Nearly Three Months After Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xzhao View Post

I have created a bug report:https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1469

Sadly I feel difficult to locate the issue to component, e.g. not sure whether it is amdgpu, kernel, or mesa...
    Try with 5.11 and mesa git.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'll be glad when manufacturing and prices return to normal. It's not funny paying $200 for an $85 CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's explained in the article text.
        The mainlined fixes for 6800, yes - but not why only the XT regressed in some games?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

This is using vulkan, right? If so, which vulkan driver are you using? radv or amdvlk? And do you notice any difference if you switch them?
          Mesa is RADV
          I've had many more problems with amdvlk

Comment

to bad you couldn't get a 6900 xt michael! i'm going to assume if the 6800 (xt) received performance uplifts then my 6900 xt should too with the next kernel and mesa versions.

Comment

Originally posted by xzhao View Post

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT (bought it in a local store at Toronto). Unfortunately, it doesn't work well with my environment (Linux 5.10.x, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Ryzen 3900XT).
              There are random crashes and hangs, starting with *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=102772, emitted seq=102775 in dmesg, then black screen. (From kernel log I see amdgpu is tring to restart but not successful)
              It happens randomly, in wine, firefox, or just emacs. So annoying that I am considering to switch to Leap 15.2 and try amdgpu-pro.
              Try forcing pci-express 3.0 in bios. Even though they are pci-gen 4 cards, I've noticed since navi 1 that pci-gen 4 can be finicky. A lot of people fixed their problems by forcing gen 3 on ryzen systems.
              edit:
              I was thinking, what linux-firmware version are you running?
              Last edited by pieman; 04 February 2021, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                Is it the miners? Is it 45's tariffs? Is it the universe telling us we should just shut up, be satisfied with our old cards and be terribly, terribly jealous of Michael who hasn't actually played a video game in 15 years?
                Doubtful miners have anything to do with it considering just the cost of electricity has been higher than what you can get GPU mining the bigger currencies for years. It's ASICs all the way down these days. Tariff's also only drive up prices, they don't affect supply.

The issue is known and it's entirely on the supply side. After Globalfoundries left the high end foundry business TSMC was left pretty much alone in high end foundry business of serving the vast array of fabless semiconductor companies out there. AMD chose to join the brawl for TSMC 7nm capacity with Apple, Qualcomm, Huawei, MediaTek, NXP and a host of other companies while Nvidia went for a wildcard in Samsung's 8nm process, which didn't pan out and is apparently moving back to TSMC for future silicon.
                "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                  Try forcing pci-express 3.0 in bios. Even though they are pci-gen 4 cards, I've noticed since navi 1 that pci-gen 4 can be finicky. A lot of people fixed their problems by forcing gen 3 on ryzen systems.
                  edit:
                  I was thinking, what linux-firmware version are you running?
                  Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try.
                  I am using linux-firmware 20210119-1.1 on openSUSE (https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ernel-firmware).

Update:
                  The problem disappears after forcing pci-gen 3 in bios. Can't imagine but it happens. Thank you very much!
                  Last edited by xzhao; 04 February 2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X