Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon ROCm 4.0 Released With CDNA GPU Support (Instinct MI100)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 4.0 Released With CDNA GPU Support (Instinct MI100)

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 4.0 Released With CDNA GPU Support (Instinct MI100)

Announced just over one month ago to the day was the AMD Instinct MI100 and as part of that the ROCM 4.0 software stack. ROCm 4.0 didn't end up actually shipping then but today its sources were uploaded and release builds made available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those wondering, here's the latest update I've seen RE RDNA2 support: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...ment-746164720

I wonder how much overhead it would be to create a basic, mesa matrix style (or rust style "are we X yet") table for RDNA(2) support in various parts of the ROCm stack. It obviously works with components like OpenCL (and presumably a few other lower level libraries), so it seems like anything beyond the current state of no roadmap/milestones and only vague updates on full completion (as opposed to frequent, concrete updates as specific components come online) would be a PR win. At the very least it would assuage the increasingly frustrated crowd.

Comment

OpenCL is working on RDNA with ROCm 4.0 installed as well as with previous versions

Comment

Originally posted by StillStuckOnSI View Post
        For those wondering, here's the latest update I've seen RE RDNA2 support: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...ment-746164720

I wonder how much overhead it would be to create a basic, mesa matrix style (or rust style "are we X yet") table for RDNA(2) support in various parts of the ROCm stack. It obviously works with components like OpenCL (and presumably a few other lower level libraries), so it seems like anything beyond the current state of no roadmap/milestones and only vague updates on full completion (as opposed to frequent, concrete updates as specific components come online) would be a PR win. At the very least it would assuage the increasingly frustrated crowd.
        It wouldn't take many programmers buying nvidia because it's the only apparent option (since GCN) for that task to be worth the effort. Although it's still not completely clear if the AMD corporate direction from the top is for all consumer cards to be gaming only. It would be a valid, though disappointing, choice.

Comment

Not fully supporting compute with consumer cards could be very harmful to the adoption of heterogeneous computing across the F/OSS ecosystem and ultimately harmful to AMD. On the other hand it does give impetus to Dave Airlie's Clover/SYCL vendor-neutral open development model stack.

Comment

Hi,

I'm a little lost with theses AMD drivers, OpenCL, Clover, OpenCL 1.1, 1.2, 20...

I have a navi card (5500XT) and i want to use DaVinciResolve with OpenCL (it doesn't launch without this support). I'm on a PopOS 20.10 distribution.
            Will theses RocM drivers can enable OpenCL for use with DaVinciResolve ?

Proprietary OpenCL drivers don't compile with 20.10 kernels... i need to use a -nodkms option to install them but DaVinciResolve don't recognize the right version...

Comment

The ROCm stack releases use the same dkms kernel driver as the packaged drivers from amd.com with the same distro support - up to 20.04.1 at the moment.

Are you sure that the packaged OpenGL and OpenCL drivers are being installed correctly on PopOS ? That seems more likely at first glance than Resolve not recognizing the drivers because you used --no-dkms. Maybe check the output of "glxinfo | grep render" and clinfo as a first step ?

Does *anyone* actually use DaVinci Resolve on RHEL/CentOS (the distro that Blackmagic supports, and a primary target of our packaged drivers) ?
              Last edited by bridgman; 19 December 2020, 06:30 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Aisyk View Post
                Hi,

I'm a little lost with theses AMD drivers, OpenCL, Clover, OpenCL 1.1, 1.2, 20...

I have a navi card (5500XT) and i want to use DaVinciResolve with OpenCL (it doesn't launch without this support). I'm on a PopOS 20.10 distribution.
                Will theses RocM drivers can enable OpenCL for use with DaVinciResolve ?
                DaVinciResolve works pretty well with mine 5700.
                I'm just starting it with OCL_ICD_FILENAMES prefix and make sure that ICD in /etc/OpenCL/vendors points to /opt/some_rocm_install/opencl/lib/libamdocl64.so
                Last edited by santoniuk; 19 December 2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

If only I could manage to install it on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Tried many times for OpenCL support in Blender with my RX480; no success so far.

Comment

Originally posted by santoniuk View Post

DaVinciResolve works pretty well with mine 5700.
                    I'm just starting it with OCL_ICD_FILENAMES prefix and make sure that ICD in /etc/OpenCL/vendors points to /opt/some_rocm_install/opencl/lib/libamdocl64.so
                    Are you using AMDGPU Pro drivers aswell for instance the legacy OpenGL component or full Opensource graphics stack including ROCM? Since D.R. 16.1 and higher required the closed AMDGPU Pro Legacy OpenGL driver, before "h33p" found a solution.

BTW are D.R. 17beta's working for you?
                    Last edited by walterav; 19 December 2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X