Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Lands Optimization For Uber Shaders

Phoronix: RadeonSI Lands Optimization For Uber Shaders

On top of the AMD Zen L3 cache optimizations hitting Mesa 20.3 today, Marek Olšák has also landed his RadeonSI Gallium3D driver code for optimizing OpenGL uber shaders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just don't try to use these shaders in California or they'll reclassify them as employees and you'll have to pay FICA every time you run a game.

Comment

I know dolphin (GC/WII-Emulator) uses huge ubershaders. Do normal games use (comparably) big shaders?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        Just don't try to use these shaders in California or they'll reclassify them as employees and you'll have to pay FICA every time you run a game.
        LOL...now that's funny !! But...seriously...they DO need to classify them as employees because they are. Uber without drivers is just a company of code masturbators....like...I see you banging away on code. But for what purpose ?

Comment

BTW....somebody grab the fire extinguisher. Marek is on FIRE again.

Comment

Michael, I miss the times when you used to do periodic comparative performance testing of mesa and kernel versions..

Comment

An open source project caught stealing names again. The term "uber shader" was used in The Witcher 2 almost a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                Michael, I miss the times when you used to do periodic comparative performance testing of mesa and kernel versions..
                I do as time allows when not busy in hardware launch seasons.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

LOL...now that's funny !! But...seriously...they DO need to classify them as employees because they are. Uber without drivers is just a company of code masturbators....like...I see you banging away on code. But for what purpose ?
                  Dude, they had drivers. And they got paid. If they didn't like being contractors, or didn't like the pay, or the hours, they could work somewhere else.

Assembly Bill 5 was designed to constrain the growth of the so-called gig economy. In practice, it's closing off opportunitiesSubscribe to our YouTube channe...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    An open source project caught stealing names again. The term "uber shader" was used in The Witcher 2 almost a decade ago.
                    Yep, uber shaders have been common industry parlance for a long time. I think we introduced the "uber buffer" concept at the OpenGL ARB back in 2004 and that probably helped the "uber shader" terminology along.

That said, I think those same uber shaders are exactly what Marek has been trying to optimize, so IMO it makes sense that he would call them by the same name as the developers who wrote them. I don't think anything is being stolen here - it's like calling Michael "Michael".
                    Last edited by bridgman; 30 October 2020, 11:36 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X