AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
    Da braucht man eh wieder FOSS-Treiber, also ich find die Argumentation hier ist etwas zirkul?r geworden.
    Dann hast Du mich doch noch nicht verstanden. Ich will einfach nur ein Unix mit X. Ob die Treiber nun Open oder Closed oder Sonstwas-Source sind, ist mir dabei v?llig wurscht. Hauptsache sie funktionieren und lassen mich die wesentlichsten Features meiner Hardware nutzen: Halbwegs schnelle 3D-Beschleunigung, Video-Overlay und TV-Out.

Comment

• For the sake of non-german speakers, please talk in english

Originally posted by Stormking View Post
      Dann hast Du mich doch noch nicht verstanden. Ich will einfach nur ein Unix mit X. Ob die Treiber nun Open oder Closed oder Sonstwas-Source sind, ist mir dabei v?llig wurscht. Hauptsache sie funktionieren und lassen mich die wesentlichsten Features meiner Hardware nutzen: Halbwegs schnelle 3D-Beschleunigung, Video-Overlay und TV-Out.
      But here you are mistaken. Even if closed-source drivers work now, there will *always* come a time when their support ends - and then you will be dead in the water.

This is why open drivers are important. A simple point that so many miss - it's good that Ati just helped drive it home

Comment

• Originally posted by Stormking View Post
        You seem to have a very limited view on the reasons why people use Linux. In my case, it's not because it is OSS. And it's not because Windows is buggy or because of all the malware and so on. I use Linux because I like its architecture. I like the Unix way of doing things.

I started computer stuff on AmigaOS and never became used to Windows. And I don't want to. You sound as if there's nothing between the mainstream Windows user and the Open Source Evangelist. Guess what, there is plenty.
        And for your needs there happen to be better OS's then Linux... If your out to get the "Unix" experience, then you may well be better served by BSD or Solaris. Linux can offer that too, but if you dont want to deal with us "evangelists" as you put it, then there are other alternatives.

Comment

You'll get (and already have) most of it using the FOSS drivers in a few months' time.

Comment

• Originally posted by oyvind View Post
            One issue that plagues me with radeonhd, though, is that XVideo tears badly and I cannot get OpenGL to VSYNC properly, no matter how hard I try. I am running latest DRM git snapshot (drm.ko and radeon.ko), perhaps this is not a good idea.

So I'll have to accept that I cannot watch movies on this laptop. Hopefully, something which fixes this will arrive in radeonhd.
            I think the radeon driver (xf86-video-ati) already has tear-free support for 5xx-family parts. The radeonhd driver has tear-free for 6xx and above right now.
            Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I think the radeon driver (xf86-video-ati) already has tear-free support for 5xx-family parts. The radeonhd driver has tear-free for 6xx and above right now.
              Yeah, radeon has tear-free support for 5xx-7xx as far as I know.

Comment

As I said before, this is not "people whining", this is customers who never got what they paid for. Who were put off for years.

It got kind of tiring, soon, to try the new fglrx each month just to get disappointed, again.

I am not interested in doing driver development. I am interested in being able to use a product I paid money for.

I don't care for the well-being of AMD or the performance of a driver I cannot use. Don't you people get it? 90% of the users are simply not interested in any of this closed vs. open source sh*t or the long-term-development of AMD. They just want a working driver for the hardware they own now.
                you know - people like you are pretty useless for the linux ecosystem ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  in the next 10 years german will die (i hope so)
                  What a silly statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    no he speaks german.... but yes german is near like Klingon and in the next 10 years german will die (i hope so)
                    Fr?her bei A....

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      For what it's worth, we're not claiming that 9.3 will keep working after an update of X or kernel versions, and we are not claiming that we are providing the same BINARY DRIVER legacy support as NVidia. What we are saying is that future distro releases will continue to be supported, but for pre-6xx GPUs that support will be via the open source drivers rather than the binary drivers.
                      For what it's worth no one would be upset with AMD if they did provide nVidia's level of support for their GPUs.

But hey, if crowd sourcing the driver saves someone a few percentage points at the top, do it!

Comment

Working...
                      X