No announcement yet.

System freezes while watching a video with VLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman: I'll try those settings and report back. If these are the correct settings (and problem free?) for my card, the fglrx installer should set them during installation, don't you think?

Comment

I'm pretty sure those settings are supposed to be set by default. If they're not please let us know.

You have a 3650, right ?
      Test signature

Comment

Yes, I have a mobility 3650 (M86).

After performing "aticonfig --initial" none of the aforementioned options are added to xorg.conf, but the driver may set them automatically at load time... if so, how can I verify that?

By the way, with Option "TexturedVideo" "on" I get a horrible flickering in full screen mode, but at least I've had no lockups (yet).

I don't mind much if the 3D performance is not great, I just want my system to be stable. Hard lockups due to graphics drivers is unaceptable for me.

I've read the radeonhd driver is rock solid, but it does not work for me, as I only get nice white screen, and vesa doesn't work either.
        Last edited by glock24; 20 March 2009, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Today I got another system freeze, also while playing a video after the computer came back from sleep.

Comment

Same here as well, with 4850 mobility (512MB GDDR3) + cat 9.2 + Ubuntu 8.10 64b, none of the above mentioned options in xorg.conf, mplayer froze system when starting to play a video.

On a side note I haven't had the time yet, and don't have the inclination to deal w/system freezes ATM, but when I can(if it's not fixed in 9.3) I'll try changing various rendering options within mplayer and see what I can get to run OK, if anything.

[EDIT MUCH later]
            Compositing (compiz/beryl) is entirely off, as it is causing problems with windowed opengl apps at least, ATM.

Still no immediate desire to monkey with mplayer setting and freezes yet, and/or debugs... Hopefully will get around to it over the weekend.

...and er, ahem, I sort of forgot to attempt to ssh into the nb and check to see if the system truly froze or X11/input just got locked out...
            [/EDIT]
            Last edited by cutterjohn; 25 March 2009, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I just installed Catalyst 9.3, I hope this release fixes the problem.

Comment

using 9.3, compiz7.8, kde4.2 and just got a crash with SMplayer...
                Somtimes when i push play, the video screen blacks out... i have to stop and play again...

Also the tearing is still present with the xv output... so no big direct rendering tearing, but a lot of small fast motion tearing....

its better with gl output... but still tearing... gl2 is almost perfect... but still has a micro tearing

And at last, the kde4 bar is always displayed when switch to full screen with compiz and SMplayer...

Im going to test some mote things.... at last, new drivers, new problems but also some improvement.

Oh yes, did i mention a big system freeze? yes.... really bad.

Comment

Playing video after resume still hangs the computer with Catalyst 9.4, but this time I could reboot using magic keys.

Comment

Working...
                  X