AMD Radeon Navi 2 / VCN 3.0 Supports AV1 Video Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

You know the concept of dual-boot right ?
    Or multiple computers, some with Windows 7, some with Linux ?
    In any case, the GPUs should have the hardware decoding capability that will apply to any OS.
    Is it even legal for you to visit phoronix from Window$?

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      Is AMD's hardware decoding just as good on Linux?
      it's better, as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        More importantly, it has HEVC encode. Sorry, but HEVC is far more important that AV1.
        lol, i certainly have no use for hevc encoder while watching youtube vids. i and everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

... Not ..?
          Yes and I stand by every word of it. You kind of ran away after I mentioned that I had worked on software decoders, didn't you?

VVC and AV1 also share a number of pixel-banging routines, so again it isn't completely different transistor sections on the die. It'll be the one programmable video decode engine, different microcode for each codec they want to support.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

What a hopeless world. I hope you are very very very wrong. It's like saying at least COVID-19 might end us if we're lucky.
            Dude, it's not hopeless. Nobody's actually getting sued for using AV1 and the world keeps spinning. Get therapy, you are depressed.

Comment

I am in need to upgrade my HTPC but I have been waiting for some thing that is affordable but supports AV1 decode of 4K@24/10bit. The Xbox S might be just the ticket if it is possible to reinstall it with Linux.

It is really unfortunate that there is no AV1 encode from ether vendor this round. It seems I have to upgrade my graphics card on my work PC every single time they release a new series of graphics cards. I was hoping I could get in on this round and skip the next for a change but it looks like I will have to upgrade this year and again next year.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                Not sure what consumer devices you're waiting for, everything that plays "4k"/UHD has HEVC support. skeevy420
                I don't have anything 4K. I think 4K is next to useless outside of text and photo editing. I play games and I don't want to spend the GDP of California on a GPU and electricity costs to do so. Also, in the choice of framerate or resolution I pick framerate. I'd rather have 2K or 1080p 60 smooth or 45-140 FreeSync versus the 30 smooth or 20-60 FreeSync I might get at 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't have anything 4K. I think 4K is next to useless outside of text and photo editing. I play games and I don't want to spend the GDP of California on a GPU and electricity costs to do so. Also, in the choice of framerate or resolution I pick framerate. I'd rather have 2K or 1080p 60 smooth or 45-140 FreeSync versus the 30 smooth or 20-60 FreeSync I might get at 4K.
                  Not sure how hardware acceleration for media decoding is relevant for gaming. Android media boxes had hardware 4k/HEVC decode years ago for example.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Is it even legal for you to visit phoronix from Window$?
                    Who are you to ask such questions, are you the owner of Phoronix ?
                    I can visit it from the terminal if I want to.
                    Anyway, I normally visit it from Linux, but even if I do it from Windows or Android I don't think it's anybody's business.
                    Have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      you can't patent things already in use.
                      Good point. But as soon as someone gets sued, they have to pay lawyers to go find that prior art.

Comment

Working...
                      X