AMD Radeon Navi 2 / VCN 3.0 Supports AV1 Video Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    I'm just glad they're adding the drivers before the launch date this time.
    It is getting better but I dont think its that much earlier. There has often been git support on day 1. Distro support is another thing and for Fedora and Ubuntu, the first releases with support available from install will likely be April 2021 (the October 2020 release of Fedora is likely to get the kernel updates for people who upgrade, but I expect solid support to not be on day 1).

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post

I thought you were using Win7. This doesn't apply to you.
      You know the concept of dual-boot right ?
      Or multiple computers, some with Windows 7, some with Linux ?
      In any case, the GPUs should have the hardware decoding capability that will apply to any OS.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        I am wondering about AV1 encode in hardware, but it seems that neither Nvidia nor AMD bring this to the table in this generation which is sad as the 18 months since the ratification are gone now and we still don't get it...
        Remember that it takes almost a year to encode a 2-hour video in decent quality. This codec isn't messing around. None of these GPUs are remotely fast enough for hardware encoding that could be worth it. One could maybe do it at some ultra low quality, but then the already existing h264/5 implementations provide a much better experience.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Remember that it takes almost a year to encode a 2-hour video in decent quality. This codec isn't messing around. None of these GPUs are remotely fast enough for hardware encoding that could be worth it. One could maybe do it at some ultra low quality, but then the already existing h264/5 implementations provide a much better experience.
          You know that they usually have dedicated logic for this on their chips and that the GPU raw power is irrelevant there [ok, there were hybrid approaches in the past but that method is mostly used as a stop gap solution until these dedicated hardware blocks become available as they are way more efficient]? It is just up to the engineers to come up with them fast enough to integrate them into their GPU designs. But maybe the complexity was just too great here, also this postpones the adoption of AV1 further and until it is here we will already have heard much more about AV2, that might spoil potential users to wait a little longer until that arrives.

Comment

More importantly, it has HEVC encode. Sorry, but HEVC is far more important that AV1.

Comment

Cool, things are basically right on schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                More importantly, it has HEVC encode. Sorry, but HEVC is far more important that AV1.
                Is it? On computers, it seems that VP9 is eating HEVC's lunch, it's basically just as efficient, and it is arguably a lot less precarious on the licensing front, even if you don't care what you have to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Ok, I'll bite. HEVC encode in hardware is with us for a couple of years already (I don't know if that is the case on Linux, but at least on Windows). Also the patent situation around HEVC drove all the big hardware, software and streaming platform vendors together to form AV1 (and AVIF) - if that doesn't put weight behind these formats, then what?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Ok, I'll bite. HEVC encode in hardware is with us for a couple of years already (I don't know if that is the case on Linux, but at least on Windows). Also the patent situation around HEVC drove all the big hardware, software and streaming platform vendors together to form AV1 (and AVIF) - if that doesn't put weight behind these formats, then what?
                    "Then what" is kind of a chicken and an egg problem. The problem lies more in the lack of supported consumer devices in regards to both HEVC and AV1. Aside from my PC and maybe my phone, nothing I own actually supports either...but it all supports x264 so regardless of how good other things are, better the devil you know...you know. If the next-gen game consoles don't support them, no one else mainstream will either for the next few years. Game consoles are one of the most used end-user devices to watch videos on outside of PCs and phones so what they support drives a lot of what the rest of the market will support and run with.

Until we see more HEVC or AV1 consumer devices we won't see more HEVC or AV1 support in other areas like PC software and hardware...or the other way around depending on what day of the week it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                      I'm just glad they're adding the drivers before the launch date this time.
                      Oh man, good to hear I may need to buy one on launch day -- pushing 8-20 million pixels is a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X