Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Raka555
    There are passively cooled GT 1030s too, which don't require a power connector. Slightly slower than the 460 but a hell of a lot faster than the 4670.
    Don't forget about having more modern features, too.
    i wouldn't consider "no drivers" particularly modern

Comment

Raka555
      There are passively cooled GT 1030s too, which don't require a power connector. Slightly slower than the 460 but a hell of a lot faster than the 4670.
      Don't forget about having more modern features, too.
      But then you don't meet one of his criterion either, which was to have open-source drivers.
      Otherwise, Palit offers a passive GTX 1650.
      Might be the most powerful passive card currently on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        But then you don't meet one of his criterion either, which was to have open-source drivers.
        Otherwise, Palit offers a passive GTX 1650.
        Might be the most powerful passive card currently on the market.
        There are open drivers, they're just not very good lol. On the other hand, neither is the GPU itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          There was a Radeon RX 460 from XFX 3 years ago (a power connector was required though). That's the most powerful AMD passive card to date if I'm not mistaken.
          The passive XFX RX 460 didn't actually require additional power according to a few YT videos and some reviews I was able to find. There were a few other non passive RX 460 cards released that worked just from the power of the PCIe slot.

Too bad mid range passive cards apparently aren't big sellers. Not a fan of the noise my XFX HD 7770 makes on full load. Some years back modded an early version Arctic Accelero S1 passive cooler to work on a HD 4650 with a modest 12% overclock, and it reaches only 55 degrees on load.

Comment

Originally posted by [TV] View Post

The passive XFX RX 460 didn't actually require additional power according to a few YT videos and some reviews I was able to find. There were a few other non passive RX 460 cards released that worked just from the power of the PCIe slot.

Too bad mid range passive cards apparently aren't big sellers. Not a fan of the noise my XFX HD 7770 makes on full load. Some years back modded an early version Arctic Accelero S1 passive cooler to work on a HD 4650 with a modest 12% overclock, and it reaches only 55 degrees on load.
            I completely agree with you.
            I had a GeForce 6600 Silent back in the days. Then I lived on a laptop for years. But 3 years ago, I wanted to assemble a new setup in my old Antec HTPC case, and I looked for a passive card, and that XFX RX 460 was the best I found. Unfortunately it was too high to fit in my case and I bought a single fan RX 560 instead.
            I bought a fanless XFX power supply though, which completely fried 2 years later in a bang (and cut the power in the process). I'm not sure I'm still confident in fanless. Yet, I believe there should be better solutions on the market, if only for GPUs. Up to the low mid-range market, it should be viable.

Comment

... There are passively cooled GT 1030s too, which don't require a power connector. ...
              There is a passively cooled GTX 1650 from Palit.
              With passive cooler and the advanced powerful Pascal architecture, Palit GeForce® GTX 1650 KalmX - pursue the silent 0dB gaming environment. Palit GeForce® GTX GTX 1650 gives you the gaming horsepower to take on today’s most demanding titles in full 1080p HD@60 FPS.

Edit: Mez' was faster.
              Last edited by drSeehas; 11 August 2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Interesting, the cover GPU is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 just like mine, but with a different shroud (mine looks similar to the shroud on the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme).

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

This is so true it's not even funny. Even latter bulldozer that was criticized for running hot etc. was capable of working at -0.200v or more at the stock frequency, and that's huge, it usually ment at least 15c less (under full load) on the same cooling solution. This is also true for newer AMD CPUs, someone at AMD doesn't do his/her job correctly or they simply have to be more strict with motherboard manufacturers, I'm repeating this for years now...
                  I don't know if it's just me having three lemons (board or CPU wise), but I've never succeeded in undervolting any of the 3 FX-8350s I own.

For reference, the boards are an ASUS M5A88M EVO, an ASUS M5A97 PRO and an ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

I don't know if it's just me having three lemons (board or CPU wise), but I've never succeeded in undervolting any of the 3 FX-8350s I own.

For reference, the boards are an ASUS M5A88M EVO, an ASUS M5A97 PRO and an ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0.
                    Those boards look fine for undervolting, I guess it's a combination of things or CPU itself, generally, when undervolting I would always disable all power saving features, as well as "boost" on the FX CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

I have a fan-less hd4670. It uses so little power, it needs no additional power besides that from the PCIe slot.

Not sure you can even find a silent card without any power connectors and with open-sources drivers in 2020 ...
                      Update! I've got my "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV730 XT [Radeon HD 4670]" and could not be happier with it!
                      Fun thing is that it somehow runs vulkan stuff (vkcube, vulkaninfo) even if different users are logged in on the separate seats.
                      Apparently it renders vulkan on the Polaris card and shows output on the HD 4670 display.
                      Yes it can use Zink too. :-) So yeah!

Comment

Working...
                      X