Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defaulting Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs To Better Linux Driver Is Held Up By Analog Outputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defaulting Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs To Better Linux Driver Is Held Up By Analog Outputs

Phoronix: Defaulting Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs To Better Linux Driver Is Held Up By Analog Outputs

Switching from the "Radeon" to "AMDGPU" kernel driver on Linux is possible for Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 era graphics cards and doing so can mean slight performance benefits, the ability to run the AMDVLK or RADV Vulkan drivers, and simply making use of this better maintained driver. But having these original GCN graphics cards default to the modern AMDGPU driver appears held up by the lack of analog video output support with that driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My 390 doesn't even have analog outputs. Maybe AMDGPU can be selectively enabled by default for some GPUs, perhaps based on PCI and device IDs or something?

Comment

It might just be a few people affected, but "i did an update and now my monitor does not come on" is bad and not an easy thing to debug.

Also does this effect DP->VGA and HDMI->VGA adaptors. There are still plenty of lecture theatres and conference rooms where VGA might be the only options to connect to a beamer.

Comment

Got 2x Sapphire HD7870 GHz Edition and 2x MSI 7870 OC. The only ports they have are DVI, HDMI and DP. I am using 3 of those in HTPC builds now and have no problems with audio when connected to TV's via HDMI using AMDGPU.
        Last edited by DRanged; 04 August 2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Fuck VGA and analog in general on dedicated cards, we are in 2020.

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          My 390 doesn't even have analog outputs. Maybe AMDGPU can be selectively enabled by default for some GPUs, perhaps based on PCI and device IDs or something?
          Does it have the damn useless fat-ass DVI port? Because that's where analog is in more modern cards.

Also does this effect DP->VGA and HDMI->VGA adaptors.
          No it does not. Those adapters are always active and have a chipset doing the signal conversion on their own. For the GPU that's still a DP or HDMI connection.
          Both HDMI and DP have a 5V power line that can send up to 0.5A, (like a USB 2.0), that's why you don't need a dedicated power brick for active adapters if the source port is DP or HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post
            Got 2x Sapphire HD7870 GHz Edition and 2x MSI 7870 OC. The only ports they have are DVI, HDMI and DP. I am using 3 of those in HTPC builds now and have no problems with audio when connected to TV's via HDMI using AMDGPU.
            It's the DVI, it's always the DVI. It can carry an analog signal if you plug in a DVI-VGA adapter

Comment

Article:
              > But having these original GCN graphics cards default to the modern AMDGPU driver appears held up by the lack of analog video output support with that driver.

Does this mean that manually switching to AMDGPU driver also causes loss of analog video output support? If so, that a surprise, I never read that in many articles and forum posts about using AMDGPU on GCN 1.0/1.1.
              In happy to learn that now that I'm about to get a GCN 1.0. GPU.
              I would have never found why it wouldn't work ^^"

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                It's the DVI, it's always the DVI. It can carry an analog signal if you plug in a DVI-VGA adapter
                Actually, all R9 290(X) and R9 390(X) cards have only Dual Link DVI-D connectors and they are missing DAC circuit. You can't even plug in a DVI-to-VGA adapter. That means, you can safely set AMDGPU driver for these cards as default.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxayo View Post
                  Article:

In happy to learn that now that I'm about to get a GCN 1.0. GPU.
                  "
                  But logic dictates what vulkan level will you have?

Did you check this wikipedia page at Radeon Feature Matrix :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon...es#Vulkan_(API)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    ​​​​​​

Does it have the damn useless fat-ass DVI port? Because that's where analog is in more modern cards.
                    But DVI is digital........ it's literally in the name.

Anyway, I'm not using DVI so I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                    X