Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defaulting Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs To Better Linux Driver Is Held Up By Analog Outputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's incredible how AMD always come with funny reasons about why it is better to keep GCN 1.0/1.1 on radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Kaveri (I'm on a A8 7600 APU) is GCN 2 right? I'm using it on VGA, because there is a long lasting problem with HDMI output giving color (gamma?) problem.

Oh, and I'm on AMDGPU too, so no problem for me here, at last on Kaveri.
      I am also using a Kavery( AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G ) with a VGA display( no adaptor ), and since 2017, using amdgpu..
      I believe I am on amdgpu( but it could be that amdgpu behind the scenes is calling Radeon driver.. ).

This are GCN 2nd Gen microarchitecture,
      which I believe means GCN 1.1, correct me if I am wrong( the GCN versions naming is messy.. )..

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are there really $3 HDMA->VGA adapters that convert digital from HDMI to analog ? If they are readily available that might help.

I'm also seeing enough people who seem to be running amdgpu with analog out on SI/CI today to make me want to double-check what functionality is available today.
        if you search on geizhals.at https://geizhals.de/?fs=hdmi+vga+ada...=p#productlist

it starts at 1.12 € https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07SS14F44?...Sg3lSLwwGH7Feg

1.90€ another one https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...I0Z7beBJ4NQA5A

displayport to VGA starts at 4,74 € https://www.amazon.de/dp/B082D5GXDV?...xojZHw9tY4onFA
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          yes right. AMDGPU should be default for GCN1.0/1.1 even without analogue VGA support because people should use a active DVI to VGA adapter.
          they can get it for like 10€

this should not stop the AMGPU being default for GCN1.0...
          Well besides the price and the trouble, those adapters consume a lot of power( for what they do.. ).
          At least the HDMI-VGA, and they are prone to break, in a 2 years usage or even less..

To give you an Idea, today, I started using a desktop machine that I have with a GTX1060, and a HDMI-VGA adaptor, and I noticed that the colors were a lot messy..
          After some debug, changed the HDMI-VGA adaptor, everything is fine now..

The problem is, this adapter, has 1 year or less of usage, and its the second one, that brakes in a short period of time..

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            But DVI is digital........ it's literally in the name.
            dvi-d is digital, dvi-a is analog, dvi-i is both

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              AMDGPU should be default for GCN1.0/1.1 even without analogue VGA support because people should use a active DVI to VGA adapter.
              they can get it for like 10€
              but using radeon is 10 euro cheaper. or for 20 euro more people could buy used r9 380
              Last edited by pal666; 04 August 2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                If it's the question of default, then why not flip it? Those who need analog output can just switch to radeon. I'd argue the number of such users is much lower than the number of users of those older GPUs to begin with
                and sane people would argue that black screen by default is much worse than no vulkan by default

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  They could just buy those $3 HDMi->VGA adapters?
                  if those adapters are passive, they require either analog output from card or digital input from monitor

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    but using radeon is 10 euro cheaper. or for 20 euro more people could buy used r9 380
                    i did some price research on geizhals.at and you can get one for 1,12-2€

sure AMD could write VGA/analoge output for these old cards... but lets face it it is only for saving 1-2€ for the affected people.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                      Well besides the price and the trouble, those adapters consume a lot of power( for what they do.. ).
                      At least the HDMI-VGA, and they are prone to break, in a 2 years usage or even less..

To give you an Idea, today, I started using a desktop machine that I have with a GTX1060, and a HDMI-VGA adaptor, and I noticed that the colors were a lot messy..
                      After some debug, changed the HDMI-VGA adaptor, everything is fine now..

The problem is, this adapter, has 1 year or less of usage, and its the second one, that brakes in a short period of time..
                      yes you are fully right we do not talk about "Quality" product... but on the other hand 1-2€ is not a big problem to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                      X