No announcement yet.

Catalyst 9.2 Released, Still Fails To Deliver XvBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know that if the user can't read xorg.conf then things break so check that.

Comment

• xorg.conf is perfectly readable when logged in as a normal user.

Comment

• When upgrading from catalyst 9.1 to 9.2 HDMI audio stopped working for me. Reverting back to 9.1 makes the audio work again. Is there some way to debug this problem? aplay -l lists the HDA ATI HDMI in the same card and device location with both drivers.

Comment

• I still have the same problem as on 9.1, When I put compiz on, xfce (ubuntu 8.10), And i play a video, and make it full screen with vlc or smplayer desktop crashes irreversibly. ssh goes down etc...

However compiz performance is top notch absolutely no problems

If I disable compiz and emerald everything is fine.

However video tearing is completely erradicated so the bottom 20% of my video window is not out of sync all the time, which is nice.

It's a bit of a shame but oh well, life is alot better than previous in the fglrx world.

Using ATI HD4850 1gb GDDR3

Comment

• 9.2 results in non-working KDE4 + composite. "Non working" meaning that it *seems* to work, but is extremely slow. 1 minute to login to KDE, 1 minute to open a menu, etc. Everything is practically frozen except for the mouse cursor.

I wonder when all this breakage will end. I suppose it's intentional. Breaking things makes the next release have entries in the changelog which otherwise would stay empty

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              9.2 results in non-working KDE4 + composite. "Non working" meaning that it *seems* to work, but is extremely slow. 1 minute to login to KDE, 1 minute to open a menu, etc. Everything is practically frozen except for the mouse cursor.

I wonder when all this breakage will end. I suppose it's intentional. Breaking things makes the next release have entries in the changelog which otherwise would stay empty
              Are you saying that 9.2 is slower than 9.1 when running KDE4 with composite ? I hadn't heard anything about a regression, just that it was slow.
              Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                9.2 results in non-working KDE4 + composite. "Non working" meaning that it *seems* to work, but is extremely slow. 1 minute to login to KDE, 1 minute to open a menu, etc. Everything is practically frozen except for the mouse cursor.
                For me, 9.2 broke KDE4 + composite entirely, that is, it broke it entirely on those rare occasions when I could convince X to startup properly.

I would get hard crashes when I would restore applications from the system tray or launch applications. I think it may have been the fade in/fade out effect that it didn't like, but I didn't really get to test too much as it frustrated the hell out of me.

For now, my ATI card is in the closet and I'm back to NVidia. If a future catalyst release fixes all of these issues, I may switch back. No offense to bridgeman, I think it's great that you're here to listen and help out. But your comments make it seem like things aren't going to get better in the immediate future, so for now, I've got to leave the Radeon behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Are you saying that 9.2 is slower than 9.1 when running KDE4 with composite ? I hadn't heard anything about a regression, just that it was slow.
                  Well, clicking on something and having to wait for about a minute for the result is not exactly "slow".

Comment

• OK, call it glacial then

Are you saying that the 9.2 release is *more* glacial than 9.1 ?
                    Test signature

Comment

• I had the opportunity to test Catalyst 9.2 on Fedora 10 i386 (GNOME) -installed from rpmfusion testing updates repo- with ATI Mobility X1600 and here is what worked (and not) after about 10 min of using it:

- tear free movies playback (Xv-AVIVO) with metacity but not with compiz fusion (v.0.7.8-2),
                      - blank screen after watching in fullscreen and then windowed mode SMPlayer (0.6.6 (SVN r2599)) when compiz fusion enabled and of course I had to make hard reset,
                      - lm_sensors (v.3.0.2-1) doesn't detect on-board temp sensor
                      - aticonfig says: card doesn't support powerplay (How it's possible with laptop gfx?)
                      - aticonfig displayed some error when I wanted to check on-board sensor temperature (card has got such a sensor in CCC under WindowsXP)

Comment

Working...
                      X