Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's ROCm AOMP Compiler 11.7-1 Brings OMPD Support, ROCgdb

Phoronix: AMD's ROCm AOMP Compiler 11.7-1 Brings OMPD Support, ROCgdb

The AMD ROCm developer tool engineers have released a new build of AOMP, their LLVM Clang compiler downstream that adds OpenMP support for Radeon GPU offloading until that support ultimately makes it back upstream into LLVM/Clang...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will this fix the issue I am having with Blender, complaining my vid card is compatible for openCL?
    (opensource amd drivers)

Comment

Just having read the Intel ISPC news post first, I am looking forward for oneAPI Level Zero support for GPU offload with AMD GPUs as well. Dave Airlie put the idea out there that this could be a building block for an open source compute stack across multiple vendors.

Comment

Adding my obligatory "but when will they support _all_ their cards" comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
          Will this fix the issue I am having with Blender, complaining my vid card is compatible for openCL?
          (opensource amd drivers)
          The number one issue getting the Pro Drivers to work and recognize OpenCL against Mesa is the DRM package versions. I would install the libdrm2 and depending on the version difference between Pro and Mesa proper the driver would break OpenGL, never mind OpenCL.

The latest Pro Drivers from AMD I have are 20.20-1098277 installed on Debian Sid.

The following I have installed for the AMD RX 480 8GB

libopencl1-amdgpu-pro
          opencl-amdgpu-pro-comgr
          opencl-amdgpu-pro-dev
          opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd
          opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd
          amdgpu-core
          amdgpu-pro-core
          libdrm-amdgpu-common

I de-installed mesa-opencl-icd and installed pocl 1.5-4 from Debian:

pocl-opencl-icd
          libpocl2-common
          libpocl2

See if that works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
            (opensource amd drivers)
            This release is an OpenMP compiler so no impact on OpenCL. Which card do you have and what problems are you seeing ?

EDIT - sorry, just noticed Marc Driftmeyer's response - go with that first.
            Last edited by bridgman; 30 July 2020, 03:33 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

The number one issue getting the Pro Drivers to work and recognize OpenCL against Mesa is the DRM package versions. I would install the libdrm2 and depending on the version difference between Pro and Mesa proper the driver would break OpenGL, never mind OpenCL.

The latest Pro Drivers from AMD I have are 20.20-1098277 installed on Debian Sid.

The following I have installed for the AMD RX 480 8GB

libopencl1-amdgpu-pro
              opencl-amdgpu-pro-comgr
              opencl-amdgpu-pro-dev
              opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd
              opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd
              amdgpu-core
              amdgpu-pro-core
              libdrm-amdgpu-common

I de-installed mesa-opencl-icd and installed pocl 1.5-4 from Debian:

pocl-opencl-icd
              libpocl2-common
              libpocl2

See if that works for you.
              Thank you, but It seems I can't use the pro driver because I am on tumbleweed. (opensuse rolling release) RX570.
              I need to install the rocm part of the prodrivers on top of the opensource drivers.

To keep it short when I tried version 3.5 it still did not work, as in blender not being happy.
              I was told to try version 3.3, but haven't tried that yet. ( Another opensuse user could not get version 3.5 to work either )

The frustrating part on windows 10, blender is happy with my vid card.
              PC is dual boot because of a few games, so I installed blender on windows 10 to to rule out any hardware issues.
              That did confirm my vid card is not the issue, but the drivers are.

I can confirm mesa + openCL does not work for blender. I had to uninstall opencl, before installing rocm.

I might give up, because I found there are free renderfarms. ( current rendertime of my project over 12 hours, a vid for a music track of mine )
              It's not a complicated scene, but the numbers of frames I need to render make it take a long time.

Looking back, for blender it would have been better/easier to use the stable release of opensuse, because then I could install the pro drivers.

Work in progress, this vid took already 3.5 hours to render. Since then did some work and it looks much better already, but estimated rendertime over 12 hours lol.
              video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

I might try again with rocm version 3.3, because then my pc as I understand it, can use both the GPU and the CPU to calculate the render.

Comment

Working...
              X