No announcement yet.

AMD Posts New AMDGPU Patches For UVD Video Decode For GCN 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I'm not mistaken, amdgpu with DAL on GCN2.0 do not support DAC's, so no VGA output. This is another missing feature. At least it was so for 7790 one or two years back before I bought vega56.
    Last edited by nrndda; 18 June 2020, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      I could have sworn the last time this came up AMD devs came on here and said it wasn't just a matter of finding time to do this, but that there were fundamental technical reasons it couldn't be done - the firmware was too large or something to that effect.
      I stated several times that someone could port the code from radeon as is, which is basically what we did. There are some potential limitations with the older firmware, but nothing show stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        It's the same userspace drivers for radeon and amdgpu for SI and newer asics.
        thanks,
        So it will be only kernel space related, nice

In that way you will not need to build new mesa, to take advantage of UVD

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
          if you read valve hardware statistic windows people are a joke the average vram on windows is 1GB and the average on linux is 8GB vram...

this alone if you think AMD makes a lot of money with windows instead of linux you think better double time about your math skill.
          Sorry what? You're claiming because Linux steam users have GPUs with higher vram average than Windows, that this explains AMD must make more money?

Here's some math for you, 2 linux users with 8GB vram AMD GPU, 98 Windows users with 1GB vram AMD GPU. Had a quick look, and a RX550(2GB) is about a third of a RX580(8GB), assuming you can find a 1GB for purchase of the same generation, lets be generous and claim a 10:1 price difference.

Using your amazing math skills, how is AMD making more money with Linux in this situation?

Comment

We sell GPU chips, not memory.

I guess it's possible that our board partners make more money on high-VRAM configurations but it's a pretty competitive market.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
              Sorry what? You're claiming because Linux steam users have GPUs with higher vram average than Windows, that this explains AMD must make more money?
              Here's some math for you, 2 linux users with 8GB vram AMD GPU, 98 Windows users with 1GB vram AMD GPU. Had a quick look, and a RX550(2GB) is about a third of a RX580(8GB), assuming you can find a 1GB for purchase of the same generation, lets be generous and claim a 10:1 price difference.
              Using your amazing math skills, how is AMD making more money with Linux in this situation?
              you just do not get the point... these 1GB vram customers are NO AMD customers at all.
              AMD just does not sell 1GB VRAM cards for many years.

means these intel IGP customers with VRAM emulation in ram are the big pill of customers who has the OS reporting 1GB vram.

if you check the price search website geizhals.at the last 1GB vram AMD card is from 2011
              ✔ Preisvergleich für AMD FirePro 2270, 512MB DDR3, DMS-59 (100-505651/31004-17-40A/31004-17-40R) ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Anschlüsse: 1x DMS-59 • Grafik: AMD FirePro 2270 - 512MB DDR3 - Desktop • Chip: Cedar GL "TeraScale 2", 1… ✔ PCIe ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

so it is fact AMD does not sell 1GB vram cards for years...

the cheapest amd card with 2GB vram is also from 2011 it is the Sapphire Radeon HD 6450, 2GB

so you really think AMD makes any money from 9 year old graphic cards ?

this means AMD makes much more money on linux than they had in mind.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                We sell GPU chips, not memory.

I guess it's possible that our board partners make more money on high-VRAM configurations but it's a pretty competitive market.
                highend AMD GPU cards have high ammount of VRAM like radeon7 with 16GB vram

lowend cards have only 4GB vram...

8GB vram in average in steam statistic for linux means: linux customers buy top-highend AMD cards.

windows with 1GB vram in average is like a ""Sapphire Radeon HD 6450, 2GB" customer from 2011

if you really think AMD makes more money with Radeon HD 6450 2GB Vram instead of vega64/5700XT and radeon 7 then yes go and sell your 9 year old shit...
                Last edited by qarium; 18 June 2020, 01:07 AM.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by nrndda View Post
                  If I'm not mistaken, amdpgu with DAL on GCN2.0 do not support DAC's, so no VGA output. This is another missing feature. At least it was so for 7790 one or two years back before I bought vega56.
                  There is open source code for the DACs in the non-DC code that could be ported to DC. There is also open source code for VCE in radeon that could be ported to amdgpu. It's all open source, if you have an itch, scratch it.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    We didn't say it couldn't be done though, just that it was a big pile of work if we could do it and we hadn't found a way to do it yet.
                    Well, regardless - it's good that you found a way to get this done eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

There is open source code for the DACs in the non-DC code that could be ported to DC. There is also open source code for VCE in radeon that could be ported to amdgpu. It's all open source, if you have an itch, scratch it.
                      I'm reasonably certain the whole point of that post was something like, "too little, too late".... He already moved on. As I would guess most people using that generation of hardware...

Comment

Working...
                      X