No announcement yet.

Radeon RADV Driver Merge Request Opened To Use ACO By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news! I've not used LLVM with RADV since ACO is available in Mesa as it makes a huge difference. From my point of view it is good to depend less from the slow annual releases of LLVM. Looking forward to use ACO with radeonsi :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The llvm backend is used in the ROCm compilers (HCC, HIP, OpenCL, OpenMP), and AFAIK our compute teams do most of the work adding llvm support for new HW.
      Have you guys considered using ACO with amdvlk? Or is too different and non-multiplatform?
      Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Have you guys considered using ACO with amdvlk? Or is too different and non-multiplatform?
        Just curious.
        I'd say there's no chance of that happening. They don't want the compiler tied in with Mesa, they need to use it in amdvlk, rocm, etc. and that would probably be a pretty big task. Switching the radeonsi GL driver over to using it by default would be the biggest change that sounds somewhat plausible to me, and I suspect they'll fight against that too.

Comment

Michael Benchmarks* ACO vs LLVM9 vs LLVM10 vs. (LLVM11) ?

*once aco default is officially upstreamed

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Do you think someone like Google might start using radv/aco for Stadia? I know they are using amdvlk/llvm now, but I wonder what they'll do if aco will get competitive enough to provide performance benefits. Stadia only supports Vulkan use cases, so they don't worry about OpenGL.
            Sure google is using amdvlk with the llvm backend? I thought they were using it with the closed source backend.

Comment

any hope for fragment_shader_interlock ?

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post

Sure google is using amdvlk with the llvm backend? I thought they were using it with the closed source backend.
                Looking at this https://github.com/googlestadia, makes it pretty likely that they use llpc/llvm.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post

They said they are using the open source driver, so why would the use closed source backend?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Do you think someone like Google might start using radv/aco for Stadia?
                    Why? AMDVLK works perfectly with LLVM, and neither Google nor the game developers have any problems. In addition, the driver is cross-platform.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post

Why? AMDVLK works perfectly with LLVM, and neither Google nor the game developers have any problems. In addition, the driver is cross-platform.
                      I said above why.

Comment

Working...
                      X