AMD Renoir Graphics Beating Out Intel Icelake/Gen11 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Gen 11 is the latest shipping product. It launched only a few months ago. Gen 12 is not shipping yet. Not sure what your point is. This is literally the highest performing iGPU in the 15w TDP class from any manufacturer. Not enough for you? Ok, that's what dGPU's are for. It's as if you're reading a spoon review, and complaining that it's not sharp enough for your t-bone steak.
    Gen 11 has a lineage that traces a long time back, many years since Skylake introduced 4 years ago. Intel basically done nothing with it ever since. Gen 11 was just a marginal improvement over Gen 9. Intel have been very lazy when it comes to their iGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Gen 11 has a lineage that traces a long time back, many years since Skylake introduced 4 years ago. Intel basically done nothing with it ever since. Gen 11 was just a marginal improvement over Gen 9. Intel have been very lazy when it comes to their iGPU.
      You're absolutely right! And unfortunately for intel, Gen 11 is their latest and greatest offering. Their laziness is catching up with them. I would certainly hope their Gen 12 will improve. But we cannot compare a currently shipping part from one manufacturer, with vaporware from another - because it's not a fair comparison, but also because we physically cannot do it as the parts don't exist. Don't forget Zen3 is just around the corner, so a more apt comparison will be Zen3 parts vs. Gen12.

Comment

Gen 11 is the latest shipping product. It launched only a few months ago. Gen 12 is not shipping yet. Not sure what your point is. This is literally the highest performing iGPU in the 15w TDP class from any manufacturer. Not enough for you? Ok, that's what dGPU's are for. It's as if you're reading a spoon review, and complaining that it's not sharp enough for your t-bone steak.

Edit: This is a 7 CU part, AMD has an even higher performing 8 CU part in the 4800U.
        The Gen 12 comparison is relevant because it gives us some insight into how competitive Intel might become with its discrete GPUs. I'm a happy Radeon 7 user but I do acknowledge that AMD is rubbish at software so I'm often frustrated at not being able to use it to its full extent for compute, at which it blows everything away including 2080ti. If Intel is more or less competitive, and has good software to actually use the gpu properly, then it'll be a very strong competitor. Hence a lot of interest in the upcoming intel integrated GPUs and why people will be very keen to see how it stacks up against these Vega igpus.

Comment

Micheal, very interesting but you need to realize that my wallet screams at me every time I see articles about these new Renoir based machines.

I'm not a big gamer so these sorts of benchmarks are not hugely significant but it is good to see them for the very light gaming I do. More importantly it gives me a lot of confidence in the APU's ability to handle graphical work and CAD in a way that I would use it. It is really impressive to see these results from such a low power APU.

I have to agree with some of the other posts with respect to run time on battery power. I'm not sure if there is a good way to test this, but I've seen terrible results on respected hardware doing what I would consider to be common things. An example here would be a video download/viewing while running a compile in background. In other words a browser running a video stream while the user is doing something CPU intensive.

Comment

I did the same test on my dell xps 7390 2 in 1, and it gives me better and different results. See it https://gist.github.com/shtirlic/3bd...b80aea87b92201 or here https://openbenchmarking.org/result/...NI-2005145PT14

Michael, your Dell bios is not new there is new version.
            Last edited by Shtirlic; 14 May 2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I find the notion that Intel’s technology is old and therefore the more powerful competition is still not good enough somewhat grotesque. Whose fault is that? As it stands, AMD is offering the most powerful integrated GPU. That is the bottom line. This might change as it always does in tech. We will see how well Gen12 performs when it comes out. However, Vega is not exactly new either and unlike Intel, AMD has already shown what their next gen GPUs will be capable of. RDNA is already a lot better than Vega apart from raw compute and I’d expect some more progress with RDNA2. So at best, Intel will have the chance to compete again with Gen12 but assuming that AMD‘s tech won’t be competitive by then is hardly more than a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                There aren't too many game tests in this article as more demanding games are still much better off running on a discrete GPU.
                Still it would have been interesting to know which games you can play, which ones you can't, and which ones are right on the edge.

For example, Deus Ex:MD was such a title, with Raven Ridge and the launch driver it was unplayable even at 720p low on Windows. Subsequent optimizations have gotten it playable at 900p low.

Comment

I am not sure what do you expect in such a small power envelope, to compete with RTX Titan or what? For an integrated GPU i find the performance quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313

That's right, Intel had the best iGPU on the market and it was shit. AMD's shit is just slightly better than Intel's shit. I am not impressed, they're both shit. Hopefully Gen 12 and RDNA2 will see some serious improvements, because so far I am not impressed with neither Intel or AMD.
                    Maybe, just maybe, you're not the iGPU kind of guy I am still using my Haswell era Iris something something 5200. The thing with 128MB dedicated cache. It's absolutely sufficient for daily use and even some simpler CAD projects. I am actually wondering if it makes sense to dedicate a bunch of silicon to it and basically make everyone buy an iGPU that has the performance level of what used to be low midrange. What I'd much rather see but sadly nobody is even talking about it: Socketed GPUs. You pick and choose exactly the performance level you need but still get the single board form factor.

Comment

Edit: This is a 7 CU part, AMD has an even higher performing 8 CU part in the 4800U.
                      On Other products AMD also has 10 and 11 CU parts that are 15watts. So yeah....

Comment

Working...
                      X