AMD Radeon Graphics Driver Amassing Improvements For Linux 5.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    I'd vote for distro, had the same experience with nvidia driver on Fedora.
    you should vote for some brains. did you have same experience with any other hardware than novideo?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      If you think that enough people are choosing GPU's based solely on driver openness (or even as the primary factor) to influence the balance of AMD/Nvidia, then yes, you have an exaggerated sense of self-importance as a Linux user, and you're ignoring the other more important factors I've pointed out.
      you didn't point any factor more important than "existing driver"
      Obviously, it would be far better if Nvidia contributed to nouveau, but if they don't want to do that, it's their choice. You're not entitled to an open driver.
      it works both ways. novideo is not entitled to my money

Comment

Hmmm. Works for me. Maybe that's because I wouldn't touch a Hybrid GPU laptop with a 40 foot pole (if I intended to run Linux on it), and I don't care about Wayland, especially with their devs' attitude/priorities.
        or maybe that's because you wouldn't do anything your novideo master doesn't allow

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          you should vote for some brains. did you have same experience with any other hardware than novideo?
          Wow, Braniac! Did you think hard on what to write whole 3 days?

Comment

first, i don't care how fah will support amd, they could use something other than rocm. second, on non-broken modern hardware pcie3 atomics just work
            I do have 2 AMD cards( for graphics they work... )
            I have not brought them for graphics, but for GPUComputing.. and in this case AMD is in bare need of a solution..
            Well the hardware were I tested them is from mid 2016, its not old hardware.. pcie3.0, and such..

The problem is not modern hardware, because you can be stuck with modern hardware if no pcie atomic operations are supported.
            And how do you find out that it supports or not on "modern non-broken" hardware?its just guessing..

You can buy a Motherboard and find out that it doesn't support, like I did..its just guessing,
            But now you have 2 problems, you continue without opencl 2.0, and you wasted money in a Motherboard that doesn't support somewhere in the chain pcie atomics..

Then you compare with Nvidia, were I am running Cuda 9.1, in a pcie1.1, in a machine from 2007...13 years old..
            Can I run in new hardware?
            Of-course I can, but some workloads just doesn't benefit much the bandwidth, and for development you have the freedom to choose in what hardware to run..

The people doesn't realise why Nvidia sells well for Linux,
            I can't understand... it sells well because it just works, even in old hardware!

AMD only solved one part of the problem, which is the Graphics part of it, but today people also buy products for GPUComputing, and AMD is better to scramble for a solution on Linux, if they don't want to see Nvidia continuing to dominating the market share in big..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
              Then you compare with Nvidia, were I am running Cuda 9.1, in a pcie1.1, in a machine from 2007...13 years old..
              you can only do it because fah supports nvidia-specific api. so ask them so support amd-specific api which works on old hardware, that's their job

Comment

you can only do it because fah supports nvidia-specific api. so ask them so support amd-specific api which works on old hardware, that's their job
                ROCm doesn't run on systems without PCI-e atomics support. What does fah have to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                  ROCm doesn't run on systems without PCI-e atomics support. What does fah have to do with it?
                  i already said i don't care whether fah will support amd via rocm or via something else. and my system has pcie atomics anyway

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                    It does with Vega parts if that helps.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X