Radeon ROCm 3.1 Released With RAS For Vega 7nm, SLURM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I don't care what anyone says. I thought New Slurm was a decent product.

Comment

WHAT TRASH is this. I installed AUR version 3. No image support again, if it works at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post

Maybe I am wrong but I thought AMF is used for video decode and encoding like nvenc on NVidia. So if Mesa broke OpenCL and AMF need OpenCL for encoding then it has a relation.
        AMF (https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/a...dia-framework/) runs over vulkan. I think it has options to use OpenCL for certain features, but it's not required as far as I know. It ultimately uses the same amdgpu kernel driver and firmware for encode and decode. It's mainly for cross OS compatibility with windows. On Linux we support VAAPI and OpenMAX for both encode and decode because that is what most applications use.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Hmm... I wonder if the issue that Naquatis is seeing (still not sure of specifics, but..) is related to Mesa exposing a different Vulkan implementation (radv) ?

Test signature

Comment

Hi, bridgman !

Does AMD have any changes about the Mesa OpenGL driver and its port on Windows? I remember you wrote on reddit last year that "Still some work to do before it can replace the closed source driver on Linux though, let alone on Windows". Do you think there's a lot of work left?

How are things going with AMDVLK? Why has it slowed down? Are you looking at integrating ACO?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
              Does AMD have any changes about the Mesa OpenGL driver and its port on Windows? I remember you wrote on reddit last year that "Still some work to do before it can replace the closed source driver on Linux though, let alone on Windows". Do you think there's a lot of work left?
              There has been some discussion about replacing the closed source driver on Linux... no discussions that I am aware of re: Windows.

How are things going with AMDVLK? Why has it slowed down? Are you looking at integrating ACO?
              Wasn't aware of it slowing down - radv has usually been faster to pick up new Vulkan revisions. Not aware of any discussions about integrating ACO into AMDVLK.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                There has been some discussion about replacing the closed source driver on Linux... no discussions that I am aware of re: Windows.
                Sadly. I believe that OpenGL and AMDVLK should have replaced closed drivers long ago. Even on Windows.

Wasn't aware of it slowing down - radv has usually been faster to pick up new Vulkan revisions. Not aware of any discussions about integrating ACO into AMDVLK.
                For the first two years, the AMDVLK release was stable every week. Now, in the best case, 2-3 weeks, and sometimes you have to wait a month or more...

Comment

Hmm... I wonder if the issue that Naquatis is seeing (still not sure of specifics, but..) is related to Mesa exposing a different Vulkan implementation (radv) ?
                  It only runs over AMDVLK at the moment. AMDVLK exposes the multi-media rings.

Comment

Sadly. I believe that OpenGL and AMDVLK should have replaced closed drivers long ago. Even on Windows.
                    AMDVLK is the same code as windows. It's shared across OSes. The legacy shader compiler is eventually going away for vulkan as well. The plan it to transition to LLVM for all OSes for vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      The legacy shader compiler is eventually going away for vulkan as well. The plan it to transition to LLVM for all OSes for vulkan.
                      Wow! This is awesome! This is now a fully unified driver.
                      In the future, this will certainly make it easier to develop and allow you to fasten some interesting features, such as ACO.

Comment

Working...
                      X