Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get XV, DRI working on HD 3300 (rv620) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW... here what I was referring to as my previous post

Originally posted by doddles View Post
    Yes! A big word of thanks from me too! My GA-MA78GM-S2H Radeon HD3200 is now giving me tear-free video in MythTV. It also seems to have fixed up a sound problem I'd been having when using the Catalyst drivers (is that possible?).

Anyway, interestingly, when I built the radeon driver, I couldn't get DRM to load. But switching to the radeonhd driver worked straight up. Don't know why the difference, but I'm happy it's working.

Are there any useful performance tests I could do or log/config files I could post here that might be useful for others with the same motherboard?
    Hi there,

I'm trying to install RadeonHD for my GA-MA78GM-S2H video chipset (Radeon HD3200) - so basically the same hardware as you - on Ubuntu 8.10:

1) I followed the wiki page:

(everything seems to be ok)

2) Driver is now installed (no screen corruption, better screen support than ATI's proprietary driver) but everything is very slow (e.g. windows are refreshing slowly when moved) - options "AccelMethod" "XAA" and "DRI" "on" are present in xorg.conf - xvinfo returns "no adaptors present"

So my question is: what did you do to make it work?

Thanks a lot,
    Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by algury View Post
      BTW... here what I was referring to as my previous post

Hi there,

I'm trying to install RadeonHD for my GA-MA78GM-S2H video chipset (Radeon HD3200) - so basically the same hardware as you - on Ubuntu 8.10:

1) I followed the wiki page:

(everything seems to be ok)

2) Driver is now installed (no screen corruption, better screen support than ATI's proprietary driver) but everything is very slow (e.g. windows are refreshing slowly when moved) - options "AccelMethod" "XAA" and "DRI" "on" are present in xorg.conf - xvinfo returns "no adaptors present"

So my question is: what did you do to make it work?

Thanks a lot,
      Pierre
      Make you installed the drm kernel modules correctly. Next, there is no XAA support for r6xx/r7xx, only EXA, so you want:
      Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
      and DRI is required for EXA and Xv:
      Option "DRI" "TRUE"
      I also found this in Xorg.0.log:
      (WW) RADEONHD(0): DRI support has been disabled at compile time
      You also need to compile the driver with DRI support. you'll need the libdrm devel package installed.

Comment

Edit to my previous post:

I also found this in Xorg.0.log:
        (WW) RADEONHD(0): DRI support has been disabled at compile time

I'm really not an expert but I guess it's related although I followed very closely the install wiki...
        I don't know if the wiki is up to date but you should use radeonhd master branch now, not r6xx-r7xx branch. And you still need to use r6xx-r7xx branch of drm. It is also important to overwrite existing radeon.ko and drm.ko. The wiki is generic the place to copy .ko files depends on your distro.

Btw, there is no XAA. You should use EXA instead.

Edit: Opps seems Alex faster than me

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Make you installed the drm kernel modules correctly. Next, there is no XAA support for r6xx/r7xx, only EXA, so you want:
          Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
          and DRI is required for EXA and Xv:
          Option "DRI" "TRUE"

You also need to compile the driver with DRI support. you'll need the libdrm devel package installed.
          Sorry for the "AccelMethod" option, I knew that the right value was "EXA" -- this was just a little test.

About the need to compile the driver with DRI support, how do you specify the DRI support? is there an option?
          (I've already installed libdrm-dev)
          (I'm sorry if my questions are a bit naive but I'm very new to linux)

Thx
          Pierre

[Edit]
          after these commands:
          cd xf86-video-radeonhd
          ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
          I have the following output at the end of the process:
          NOTE: DRI support is disabled

-> how to enable it then?
          Last edited by algury; 14 March 2009, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the "AccelMethod" option, I knew that the right value was "EXA" -- this was just a little test.

About the need to compile the driver with DRI support, how do you specify the DRI support? is there an option?
            (I've already installed libdrm-dev)
            (I'm sorry if my questions are a bit naive but I'm very new to linux)

Thx
            Pierre

[Edit]
            after these commands:
            cd xf86-video-radeonhd
            ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
            I have the following output at the end of the process:
            NOTE: DRI support is disabled

-> how to enable it then?

Yes, I did it!

Actually, I was just missing some of the prerequisites packages.

So, to sum-up:
            1) Hardware: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (i.e. AMD780G chipset with Radeon HD3200 IGP), using the HDMI output with a Samsung LCD TV
            2) OS: Ubuntu 8.10
            3) I followed this wiki (just for the prerequisites packages section):

4) Then I followed this one (to build driver and drm, and set xorg.conf options):

5) After a restart, typing xvinfo return the detected adaptor (Adaptor #0: "RadeonHD Textured Video"), windows are no longer refreshed slowly... and last but not least, HD videos are tear-free even in 1920x1080 fullscreen

Two words: great job guys! (damn, that's three words)

It's almost easier to setup than the proprietary drivers: no black borders and no tearing in FullHD without searching for options.

Thanks for your replies, and keep up the good work! (I(ll probably test the 3D acceleration when it's ready!)
            Cheers,
            Pierre

PS: I'm very excited to be able to switch completely from Windows to Linux thanks to these drivers and because there are excellent media center softwares too, like XBMC which is very good looking.

Comment

Is it normal that i get a black screen, when i load a gnome-session with a dual-head configuration and radeonhd? If i try radeonhd + fluxbox everything works fine, but as soon as i try to use gnome the screen is black and i can't see anything. (but everything loads, because if can restart the xserver with alt+backspace)
              Also if i just boot with one monitor everything works great.
              Any ideas?

I'm using Ubuntu Hardy.

Comment

I don't think this is normal. Can you pls pastebin an xorg log ?
                Test signature

Comment

I hope it isn't normal.
                  Here is is the Xorg.0.log:
                  Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Unless you posted the wrong log, you're running the vesa driver which doesn't support dualhead.

Comment

• Ooops... mixed it up, sorry!
                      Here:
                      Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X