Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

If you're that bothered write one, after all open source and all that
    Please stop with this Linux-style advice write it or code it yourself!
    If you buy a car without steering wheel or dashboard I don't recommend you to just make one yourself.

I'm a customer, I pay money for other people to make stuff for me.
    I payed for the AMD GPU and AMD should use a part of that money to make the control panel also.
    And they do, but only for Windows.
    And since Windows is going to shit because of Microsoft greedyness, I need to spend more time on Linux now and I want good support for it from my GPU manufacturer, and this means control panel also where I can optimize stuff based on my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      your other hardware doesn't have control panels provided by vendor either. ask your desktop vendor about gui apps
      Guess what my other hardware vendor is ... AMD.
      And now that you reminded me of this where is Ryzen Master for Linux ?
      Maybe having a control panel for the CPU is not so important (even though there could be a few things to tweak and see temperatures), for the GPU is an absolute necessity.
      How should I enable on Linux as on Windows, GPU scaling, Super virtual resolution, integer scalking, Radeon Image Sharpening, overclocking, etc ???
      I don't live 1000 years to code it myself as some smart guy here suggested.

Comment

What about better overclocking/ppfeaturemask & multimontior support? It kind of sucks having to choose between one monitor and overclocking or two+ monitors and no overclocking.

The unsupported by AMD third option of bios modding kind of sucks.

Note that overclock is synonymous for any form of overclocking, undervolting, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
          I have an (OLED / HDR capable) TV connected to my RX460, and "multichannel audio" is just fine. Just like HDR support it would be the least of my reasons to be entirely frustrated and done with amdgpu. Just to verify that the misery hasn't miraculously been cured in the past months, I recently tried the "stable" vanilla linux-5.5 and the drm-next 5.6 git head - and just like all the versions > 4.14, it took just minutes for amdgpu to crash.

Still counting the days until Intel Xe finally provides an alternative...
          My "monitor" is a 65" HDR TV (yes, stupid, I know), the HDMI cable goes out of a RX 560 to an AV receiver in 5.1 for audio and then to the TV for 4K60 desktop/videos.

Beside some random resume freezes (from suspend), it work just fine with 5.1 and 4K60. No amdgpu crashes (just suspend/resume). It took a while to get there though as it only started to be alright around mid-end 2018.
          Last edited by Mez'; 11 February 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Guess what my other hardware vendor is ... AMD.
            And now that you reminded me of this where is Ryzen Master for Linux ?
            Maybe having a control panel for the CPU is not so important (even though there could be a few things to tweak and see temperatures), for the GPU is an absolute necessity.
            How should I enable on Linux as on Windows, GPU scaling, Super virtual resolution, integer scalking, Radeon Image Sharpening, overclocking, etc ???
            I don't live 1000 years to code it myself as some smart guy here suggested.
            Different needs for different folks I guess.

On my Windows gaming computer with Nvidia graphics, the only reason I open the GPU controls is to TURN OFF things like DSR, image sharpening, etc, etc. I would like the GPU to do exactly what the game tells it to do.

The other thing I did two years ago when I bought the card. I opened the software and set it to the manufacturer's overclock settings. And I left it there. I don't need to mess with clocking, under-volting or other garbage, which is why I bought the OC version of the card in the first place.

So I've used the GPU controls something like twice in two years. Hardly a necessity. The GUI is useless and for Linux a simple shell script equivalent would work just as well.

Comment

Working...
            X