AMDGPU Linux Driver Preparing To Better Support Modern HDR/OLED Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
    The HDMI port goes into a 5.1 Audio extractor that connect to my surround-sound system via toslink (since toslink have become rare) and via hdmi to my TV.

I can only get front left and front right out of it. or DTS/AC3 pass-through (which encoded 6 channels on two), I have never got 6 channel (plain) going.
    I ran into a similar issue with my HTPC setup. After some research I learned that toslink only supports 2 channel uncompressed audio, and surround sound requires compressed audio due to a lack of bandwidth. If you replace the toslink with something like an HDMI2 or DP link, it should work fine (my current setup has a Raven Ridge system connected via HDMI to a 5.1 receiver which then passes the video stream to my 4K TV over HDMI, and surround sound has just worked).

Comment

kuuchan thanks for the tip! Unfortunately my current sound system has toslink, co-axial, and 3xstereo jack inputs only. Maybe an upgrade is due.
      This was the extractor I used: https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-...tractor-p11832

Maybe as a stop-gap I can find a HDMI audio extractor that also encodes DTS/AC3? I gave up trying to get ALSA to do it, the module in question is obviously getting no love any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        And still no control panel for human beings for fuck's sake.
        How do I turn this on or see its status?
        Still with som cryptic commands?
        Watch the tone, it doesn't make one want to be helpful.
        AFAIK, this is mostly an internal plumbing thing. The brightness is exposed to userface via the usual kernel interfaces, which can then be controlled using standard userspace tools, like the brightness slider you probably have in your desktop environment.

TBH, I don't see why you really need such a tool that would in 99% of cases not be able to handle your specific setup. What is your use-case?

Most stuff you would want to tweak are debug parameters, stuff like voltages, clocks, BIOSes, etc. And if you start going that route, you probably know how to use the cryptic commands, or should just not attempt doing it in the first place.

Now, there are a couple of community-maintained ones: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...K-Linux-AMDGPU https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-ADriConf-Talk

Comment

Originally posted by kuuchan View Post

I ran into a similar issue with my HTPC setup. After some research I learned that toslink only supports 2 channel uncompressed audio, and surround sound requires compressed audio due to a lack of bandwidth. If you replace the toslink with something like an HDMI2 or DP link, it should work fine (my current setup has a Raven Ridge system connected via HDMI to a 5.1 receiver which then passes the video stream to my 4K TV over HDMI, and surround sound has just worked).
          yeah, toslink is stereo only.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            maybe one of the CoC opponents ...let him be "grumpy torvalds" in his microcosmos
            I don't like CoC myself, I don't think the two are the same thing; there are plenty of people who are personally nasty, who also love CoC.

Comment

I have an (OLED / HDR capable) TV connected to my RX460, and "multichannel audio" is just fine. Just like HDR support it would be the least of my reasons to be entirely frustrated and done with amdgpu. Just to verify that the misery hasn't miraculously been cured in the past months, I recently tried the "stable" vanilla linux-5.5 and the drm-next 5.6 git head - and just like all the versions > 4.14, it took just minutes for amdgpu to crash.

Still counting the days until Intel Xe finally provides an alternative...

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                I have an (OLED / HDR capable) TV connected to my RX460, and "multichannel audio" is just fine. Just like HDR support it would be the least of my reasons to be entirely frustrated and done with amdgpu. Just to verify that the misery hasn't miraculously been cured in the past months, I recently tried the "stable" vanilla linux-5.5 and the drm-next 5.6 git head - and just like all the versions > 4.14, it took just minutes for amdgpu to crash.

Still counting the days until Intel Xe finally provides an alternative...
                Hearing stories like this makes me think that, when my GeForce GTX750 dies, I should probably buy my next video card locally so I can return it without having to pay return shipping if I see any signs that it's not going to keep up the "my experience with nVidia" tradition of running stable and leak free for months of uninterrupted desktop session time.

Comment

your other hardware doesn't have control panels provided by vendor either. ask your desktop vendor about gui apps

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Hearing stories like this makes me think that, when my GeForce GTX750 dies, I should probably buy my next video card locally so I can return it without having to pay return shipping if I see any signs that it's not going to keep up the "my experience with nVidia" tradition of running stable and leak free for months of uninterrupted desktop session time.
                    i have no issues with rx580. i probably run it for weeks, not for months. and i think i'm not the only one, i.e. i think it's like that for everyone except few people for some reason. but being prepared never hurts

Comment

How do I turn this on or see its status?
                      Still with som cryptic commands?
                      If you're that bothered write one, after all open source and all that

Comment

Working...
                      X