No announcement yet.

FGLRX Catalyst and Resizing with Desktop Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That little trick does not solve maximizing a window or reduzing it's size but only restoring and the other way around. I'm talking about double cliking the top bar of an application or draging a maximized compized window. Plus, each time you open a new window you also have that slowdown so even opening up terminal is slow.

Anyways, i hope all of this is going to get fixed in not too long or at least before my new laptop gets too old ^^

Comment

Originally posted by neyz View Post
      That little trick does not solve maximizing a window or reduzing it's size but only restoring and the other way around. I'm talking about double cliking the top bar of an application or draging a maximized compized window. Plus, each time you open a new window you also have that slowdown so even opening up terminal is slow.
      Yep, we know There's no known way to work around this. All we can do is wait for the Catalyst crew to fix it. At least with this little tip/workaround, KDE4 with effects on is a bit less annoying

Comment

Well ya, true

I've read in that other thread that 9.4 is suppoed to fix those issues : http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=29

Do you think that this is true or is it just a fake ?

Comment

From the 9.4 beta I tested, it wasn't fixed. That could change of course in the final version, but no one knows for sure I guess.

Comment

I Have the exactly problem in my nvidia
            sony vaio laptop aw
            9600m gt nvidia card
            i wish any one can fizx this problem

if its in ati and invidia it could be win vista problem ?

here is nvidia users have the same problem

Comment

not fixed as of 9.5

Comment

There seem to be a few different issues mixed together here. The most recent one is a slowdown going from X server 1.5.x to 1.6 (also Intrepid to Jaunty), which seems to affect all hardware vendors to varying degrees. There is an X server patch which has been alternately in and out over the last while -- from skimming the discussions it seemed to be a display corruption/security issue whose fix resulted in a serious slowdown. The slowdown seems to result from copying the entire screen/window (I forget which) from video memory down to system memory, which is usually pretty slow.
                Last edited by bridgman; 20 May 2009, 03:41 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

bridgeman, could you point to a specific list? That would explain nicely why 1.6.1 suddenly vanished from the gentoo overlays ...

Comment

It seems that even the Metacity composite manager is affected by slow response. Minimizing and restoring is slow, as well as resizing. Even when switching virtual spaces, windows take 2-3 seconds in being drawn. Neither radeon or radeonhd exhibit this behavior.
                    Last edited by Melcar; 20 May 2009, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      bridgeman, could you point to a specific list? That would explain nicely why 1.6.1 suddenly vanished from the gentoo overlays ...
                      I haven't yet found the articles I was reading before, but I think the link below was referenced a few times. It's hard to follow but the gist of it seems to be a "garbage on screen" problem whose fix brought a performance problem. I'll keep looking, but others feel free to jump in

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/in...er/+bug/254468

There also seems to be some slowdown specific to a KWin version, but even that seems to still be hotly debated.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 20 May 2009, 06:32 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X