Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R700 2D Driver Performance Comparison

Phoronix: AMD R700 2D Driver Performance Comparison

Earlier this week we delivered results from a comparison between the Catalyst and X.Org Radeon drivers looking at the R500 2D performance. With a lot of interest having been generated from that, we have now carried out the same set of tests again but this time using an ATI Radeon HD 4850 (RV770) graphics card and the experimental EXA support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To be honest, I would have expected worse results. R7xx seems to run ok for 2D even in this early stage of support.

Comment

That's better than I expected too. I was a bit worried when I saw the article since the focus has been entirely on getting the basic functions working, not performance optimization of any kind.
      Last edited by bridgman; 23 January 2009, 06:17 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the two open source drivers, radeonhd and radeon on a card that is supported by both.

Comment

What is the 2D performance of this driver vs the Nvidia proprietary driver?

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
            Don't ask such questions!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I was a bit worried when I saw the article since the focus has been entirely on getting the basic functions working, not performance optimization of any kind.
              Yeah, I hadn't intended on doing an R700 2D performance look this early, but it was requested by Matthew. It turned out pretty well for a basic implementation
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Yeah, I hadn't intended on doing an R700 2D performance look this early, but it was requested by Matthew. It turned out pretty well for a basic implementation

let's say the truth: what turned out is that AMD should be ashamed of what they call a driver (fglrx). Let's just hope all this sh%$ comes to an end with a complete open source driver one day. And actually yes, do a comparison with NVIDIA proprietary driver if you can... let's see what comes out... you never know.. maybe even NVIDIA drivers suck?
                Last edited by bulletxt; 23 January 2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                  If you manage to use the Nvidia proprietary driver on the RV770, I'll be really interested by your results.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    let's say the truth: what turned out is that AMD should be ashamed of what they call a driver (fglrx). Let's just hope all this sh%$ comes to an end with a complete open source driver one day. And actually yes, do a comparison with NVIDIA proprietary driver if you can... let's see what comes out... you never know.. maybe even NVIDIA drivers suck?

Last I heard, didn't Nvidia's newest drivers produce crummy 2D performance on GeForce 8000 and newer?

In any case, I am totally ecstatic that the EXPERIMENTAL r700 code has already come this far, even surpassing the proprietary Catalyst driver in 2D acceleration. (not that fglx sets the bar very high... )

With any luck, end-users like me will have a working r600/r700 driver when Ubuntu 9.04 comes out.

Comment

Working...
                    X