RADV Lands More Fixes + Performance Improvements Into Mesa 19.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I never said it wasn't and I'm aware that it's the worst it's ever been.
    Then what was the point in you bringing it up? Valve is large enough to attempt to get away with it too.
    Not in that instance, no. Valve with SteamOS, however, uses both a Windows compatibility layer and open source drivers; not supporting others when bringing up their own work with either of those can be taken as a form on discrimination. Since Valve is the most likely company ever to be sued on those grounds, it makes sense to make sure a competitor's product works.
    Not really. Proton/WINE is arguably a type of reverse-engineering. More often than not, you actually get in trouble for trying to reverse-engineer something, rather than fail to do so. Regardless, Valve could just simply say "we were unable to get X to work on our platform. Publisher Y was not willing to work with us on this endeavor. There are thousands of games in our own library that don't yet work" and they wouldn't be lying in saying so. It's not possible or realistic for them to get all Windows programs to work on Proton. If they were to mention other competing products that work on SteamOS, that could possibly help prove their point that Proton's functionality is limited, and therefore are not at fault for being anticompetitive.
    Also, would you buy a Valve SteamOS Gaming PC if all you had access to was just Steam for games and programs? Nope. No you wouldn't. Nobody buys something with Gaming PC in the title to have a console-styled vendor lock-in and Valve knows that. Helping fix a competitor's product shows that they want us to have an actual Gaming PC and not a console experience.
    Actually, I know for a fact many people would buy a "Steam Machine" and be satisfied with only playing Steam games. Like I said, other gaming consoles (which Steam Machines are supposed to compete with) don't allow you to buy/play games from other markets, at least not directly. I know several people who are hardcore Valve fans, where they don't just refuse to buy games from other platforms but seem to have some weird vendetta against them (EGS in particular). I personally use Steam and GOG just because of their Linux support and prefer to minimize my usage of Proton/WINE; otherwise back when I used Windows, I had maybe 8 different DRMs installed.
    Anyway, for people like you and I, we'd rather just supply our own PC and install Steam (not even SteamOS) on it. So yeah, I wouldn't want to be limited to just Steam, but, I also wouldn't get a Steam Machine in the first place.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 24 October 2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It's really no different than Microsoft fixing a bug that only effects Photoshop. Microsoft doesn't make Photoshop, but they'd be dumb as hell not to fix a problem that only effects Photoshop because it's a popular piece of software. Valve fixing a popular game that isn't theirs at the driver level is pretty much the same damn thing.
      It would be a better analogy if Microsoft fixed a bug that only affected WordPerfect or Lotus 1-2-3, which I'm quite sure that they would never ever do.

Comment

Working...
      X