Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

Do both of your monitors use freesync?
    Yeah, both are FreeSync monitors and same refresh rate (144hz). Do you have VariableRefresh setting set to "on" in an xorg conf file?

For example, mine looks like this:

Code:
    > cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf
    Section "Device"
             Identifier "AMD"
             Driver "amdgpu"
             Option "TearFree" "on"
             Option "VariableRefresh" "on"
    EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      I wonder if there is any progress to use FreeSync on Wayland or is this expected to work already somehow with Xwayland?
      Some Wayland experts need to weigh in, and design an extension for it. I looked at it, but I really have no experience in it, and looks like there isn't broader interest to move this forward.
      Last edited by shmerl; 10 September 2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Yeah, both are FreeSync monitors and same refresh rate (144hz). Do you have VariableRefresh setting set to "on" in an xorg conf file?

For example, mine looks like this:

Code:
        > cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf
        Section "Device"
        Identifier "AMD"
        Driver "amdgpu"
        Option "TearFree" "on"
        Option "VariableRefresh" "on"
        EndSection
        Which is probably the point of the OP, you can only Freesync multiple monitors if they all support Freesync and run at the same refresh.

I, for example, have 4 screens - 2 1080p 60hz boring edge monitors with no freesync, a 144hz gaming freesync one, and a 60hz 4k freesync. It is a really common use case that someone has one good monitor (ie a 144hz freesync gaming monitor) but acquires extra screens they want to use on the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

Which is probably the point of the OP, you can only Freesync multiple monitors if they all support Freesync and run at the same refresh.

I, for example, have 4 screens - 2 1080p 60hz boring edge monitors with no freesync, a 144hz gaming freesync one, and a 60hz 4k freesync. It is a really common use case that someone has one good monitor (ie a 144hz freesync gaming monitor) but acquires extra screens they want to use on the sides.
          Yeah, I understand. I don't know the technical details of how that would work with all 4 monitors on, but I'd imagine you could set up a script before gaming to turn off the other 3 monitors, and leave the 144hz gaming monitor on to utilize FreeSync.

e.g.

#!/bin/bash

xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --off
          xrandr --output HDMI-A-1 --off
          xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --off
          xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --mode 1920x1080 --rate 144.00

Feral's GameMode has a config file where you can specify a start_gaming.sh and stop_gaming.sh. You can just add the above in the start_gaming.sh, and in stop_gaming.sh you'd go back to your multi-monitor setup.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

disagree
            Disagree because you're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

Afaik it only works if you have two of the same monitors, but not if you have a non-freesync secondary. Would love to see support for that, too.
              I have 3x of the same monitor. I've been under the impression it only ever works in a single monitor setup. I would love if this was an option.

At that point do each monitors FreeSync separately, or is it a synced refresh buffer that "syncs" across all the monitors at once.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                but when freesync over HDMI, cmon AMD
                HDMI is a living room interface for content consumption devices. Not the preferred connectivity for a desktop computer. I'm not aware of any Television sets that support Freesync, so not sure what you're doing with it, but this seems like a very niche use case.
                Last edited by torsionbar28; 10 September 2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  HDMI is a living room interface for content consumption devices. Not the preferred connectivity for a desktop computer. I'm not aware of any Television sets that support Freesync, so not sure what you're doing with it, but this seems like a very niche use case.
                  It is ubiquitous in the PC monitor space and a lot of the cheaper FreeSync monitors do only have HDMI connectivity. It is an important use case which AMD and the other GPU vendors should support.

Comment

Fucking 2019 and AMD doesn't have a goddamn control panel. Piss off, AMD!
                    Intel doesn't have and the Nvidia control panel is a fucking joke. Fuck off they all!

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                      Fucking 2019 and AMD doesn't have a goddamn control panel. Piss off, AMD!
                      Intel doesn't have and the Nvidia control panel is a fucking joke. Fuck off they all!
                      I can't recall the last time I've used nvidia control panel on Windows, apart from checking driver version.

Comment

Working...
                      X