Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has A Number Of Graphics Driver Fixes To Add For Linux 5.4

Phoronix: AMD Has A Number Of Graphics Driver Fixes To Add For Linux 5.4

In addition to the new hardware support and other features queued already in DRM-Next for the upcoming Linux 5.4 merge window, on Friday AMD sent in a final pull request to DRM-Next of new material ahead of this upcoming kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is also scatter gather support for Raven APUs. Fixing the tearing. Still need to test if it works correctly but its there.

Comment

APU with vRAM huh, most AMD APUs just use system ram. this might be a decent performer with its own dedicated memory

Comment

Having issues with black screen on my 5700. I really hope they fix it...

Moment amdgpu gets loaded = black screen. Until its loaded I have console only. Probably I can use VESA, but its not a solution, its getting autoloaded by distro.(hence I use older kernel version, where there is no AMDGPU for Navi)

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Having issues with black screen on my 5700. I really hope they fix it...

Moment amdgpu gets loaded = black screen. Until its loaded I have console only. Probably I can use VESA, but its not a solution, its getting autoloaded by distro.(hence I use older kernel version, where there is no AMDGPU for Navi)
          Are you sure it's an AMD specific issue? I had that same behavior on an old evergreen card recently, and it turns out I had disabled legacy FB Console emulation in the drm subsystem configs in the kernel on the machine I was on.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Are you sure it's an AMD specific issue? I had that same behavior on an old evergreen card recently, and it turns out I had disabled legacy FB Console emulation in the drm subsystem configs in the kernel on the machine I was on.
            I did not disable anything. I only changed from GTX780ti to 5700XT. I can see console is starting up after grub starts kernel, for a second i see kernel messages and BOOM. i can hear sound card makes tick(alsa driver loaded in) and screen goes dead, as I suspect AMDGPU driver loaded.

if you look at link I gave, it will have a lot more info.

Comment

I had a similar issue. Make sure you have the recent firmware in /lib/firmware/amdgpu from here:

Comment

The navi fixes should go into 5.3 - why is it ok to release 5.3 with buggy navi support?

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I am positively sure of it. My console works for a few seconds. I don't have Xorg/GUI autostart. I can see kernel boot messages for one second(nvme ssd, system loads in like 3 seconds, no exaggeration, and I probably make mistake on side of modesty, i give it second or half). After which systemd loads amdgpu. And i have black screen. Machine is not locked. I can get dmesg output from SSH and lsmod. Both confirm driver is loaded.

As per my link to kernel bugzilla, there is a lot more info if you care to help linuxoid in need

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
                    I had a similar issue. Make sure you have the recent firmware in /lib/firmware/amdgpu from here:
                    https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5..._ucode/navi10/

downloaded from: https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5..._ucode/navi10/

md5sum /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_*
                    d80e7585b046f9da0edfdf5c4840030c /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_asd.bin
                    3f52075a7db731365236d3050aa23d9e /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_ce.bin
                    d99c5124e5560153768a71cec8a4726e /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_gpu_info.bin
                    98ddcd564bddf7ed6045afff4abf6704 /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_me.bin
                    c9cd7f8cdd97c18f3068887f1877e2a6 /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mec2.bin
                    c9cd7f8cdd97c18f3068887f1877e2a6 /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mec.bin
                    2dd1563ba76158c98d9409eb94daab2e /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_pfp.bin
                    39a53ba9e86b52fa6be045932bb0b12f /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_rlc.bin
                    a4b33f7ad896e7b876dcb224f02faf4c /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_sdma1.bin
                    a4b33f7ad896e7b876dcb224f02faf4c /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_sdma.bin
                    26f69a4d53d4511c4587ce3713a70d99 /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_smc.bin
                    0273f9cd89f85d58942e1a57be143077 /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_sos.bin
                    b0f5b346a394d9ec4027ef01ba3853c7 /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_vcn.bin

amdgpu was configured as module, so my understanding is that I don't need to put individual firmware file names into .config file, since they will be autodetected at module loading time.
                    Last edited by dimko; 31 August 2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X