No announcement yet.

AMD Has A Number Of Graphics Driver Fixes To Add For Linux 5.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully this bug will be fixed soon: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109955

Comment

I hope this fixes the problems with the RX 550 I had when trying to use it in my Windows 10 VM. While it seemed to work initially I began having random system freezes within a few days, and then one day I turned on the VM and the initial display was all green with black text and the RX 550 didn't work at all anymore. I tried everything I could think of and find on the Internet, and of course restored the VM a few times from pristine backups, but nothing worked.

So I ended up having to go back to my old GT 710, and returned the RX 550. I'm a big fan of AMD and it really ground my gears having to do it, but I was out of options and had to have a working VM. When 5.4 comes out I'll buy another RX 550 and give it another try though.

However since getting my new AMD x570/R7 3700X system, and finally being able to switch the VM to Q35, all the audio and video stuttering problems I had with the GT 710 went away and it works perfectly now. And it's amazing to view the NVIDIA system information and see the bus is actually running with x8 PCIE. It makes me wonder if the RX 550 problem was actually related to the fact that I had to use i440fx with my old motherboard (a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5) because Q35 just wouldn't work with it.
      Last edited by muncrief; 15 September 2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X