Radeon Software for Linux 19.30 Updated With Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software for Linux 19.30 Updated With Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software for Linux 19.30 Updated With Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Support

In addition to AMD releasing the Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise 19.Q3 Linux driver, they also quietly released a new Radeon Software Linux driver release for consumer GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Blender and folding@home still don't work with PAL based OpenCL driver on Polaris.

Comment

There is a persistent issue where people see Ubuntu and think they can install any dev OS and it'll work. It won't work. The kernels are matches exactly by name for that one OS only.

Comment

Yep... we slightly relaxed the package scripts but IIRC that was only to allow installing on Mint as well as Ubuntu.

The obvious question is whether we should be relaxing the scripts even more, to the point where the drivers can install on distros where we aren't sure if they will work or not. There are good arguments both ways.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Yep... we slightly relaxed the package scripts but IIRC that was only to allow installing on Mint as well as Ubuntu.

The obvious question is whether we should be relaxing the scripts even more, to the point where the drivers can install on distros where we aren't sure if they will work or not. There are good arguments both ways.
          You could relax scripts if you don't advertise the script to work unless you are quite sure it will work.

Linux systems do have a reputation to be "a mess not working", and that reputation does not need to be enchanted, and I don't think it give good reputation for AMD either to release something what is not working as intended.

Open sourcing the script would be a good thing so that distros could easily modify the script to work.

Comment

As Linux is a bit messy it can be a risk for AMD to release something in collobaration.

Comment

Perhaps make the script require an additional flag to be called to use the relaxed settings, like "--unsuppored-distribution" and have that print a few more warnings while the script is running to further get the point across.

It's a moot point in my case since I'm using Manjaro, but that's the decision I'd make if I were in charge. Well, that and adding Manjaro to the list of supported distributions (hint, hint ) as well as switching from compressed blobs to blobs in repositories so people would only need to add a PPA (or equivalent) and install a meta-package.

moilami The script is open source. Download one of the amdgpu-pro packages and it's the script called "amdgpu-install" located within. It wouldn't hurt to host it on github or somewhere like that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Perhaps make the script require an additional flag to be called to use the relaxed settings, like "--unsuppored-distribution" and have that print a few more warnings while the script is running to further get the point across.

It's a moot point in my case since I'm using Manjaro, but that's the decision I'd make if I were in charge. Well, that and adding Manjaro to the list of supported distributions (hint, hint ) as well as switching from compressed blobs to blobs in repositories so people would only need to add a PPA (or equivalent) and install a meta-package.

moilami The script is open source. Download one of the amdgpu-pro packages and it's the script called "amdgpu-install" located within. It wouldn't hurt to host it on github or somewhere like that.
                Ok, cool, now progressive distributions could pick it up and modify it for their needs.

Comment

Btw. you might wanna adjust the RPM-variant of the installer to allow installation on OpenSUSE Leap 15/15.1 which is based on the same source as SLED/SLES 15/15.1. The installer mistakes an OpenSUSE Leap system for a RHEL/CentOS system at the moment. I filed a bug report with a simple patch here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111402

Comment

Working...
                  X