Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wojcian
    replied
    Very good news. Many games are unplayable with llvm compiler without Steam pre-caching.

Leave a comment:

• Sethox
    replied
    All I got to say is...

God I love Open Source, it's the people I can't stand, all jokes aside transparency is key to further evolve a platform.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    Well, call me excited! That is something I need to test :-)
    Yeah I'd be lapping this up too if I actually had an amd card, but I'm a poorfag couldn't even afford the radeon vii, in fact I don't even have a desktop to put it into anymore, what is going on with my life?!

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post
    shame on AMD. Valve does their job as far as I can judge.
    Do you ignore the fact that Valve makes money with PC gaming, just as AMD does, if not much more? AMD does a lot more stuff than PC gaming. If Valve contributes to PC gaming, it's a win-win.

Leave a comment:

• ObiWan
    replied
    Vega56 - Rise of the Tomb Raider 4K (high/very high mix)
    mesa-git + llvm9: 55 FPS
    mesa-git + ACO: 65 FPS
    nice

everything else I tested is either similar performance or just slighly better.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied

Dont get me wrong I am salary or two away from dumping 780TI. That does not excuse fact, that 3rd party does AMD's job.
    Think of it this way, LLVM within AMD's stack has to serve several competing goals, gaming is just one of them, e.g. their ROCm stack for compute, and there were also other fundamentals mentioned within LLVM itself. Also it is Valve's money, and they must see a business case here to put all that investment into this compiler (some NIR related changes are general enough that other vendors also profit). On Linux and with the open documentation from AMD, that is a good example where the community sees a need for something else, so they just do it. It would have been great if they had fixed these issues in LLVM instead, but they saw it as the lesser burden to do it their way. If it leads to a better open source graphics stack for AMD on Linux gaming, I am all for it.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied

Dont get me wrong I am salary or two away from dumping 780TI. That does not excuse fact, that 3rd party does AMD's job.
    How is Valve doing AMD's job here? AMD has company supported shader compilers available for their hardware already. Valve is doing it because they can do it and think they may be able to do a better job for their particular purpose, whatever purpose that might be, not because they have to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Haxk20
    replied
    Im getting consistent 2-5 fps boost in most games. This is really impressive job they did.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post

LOL. Wouldn't even be possible for Nvidia hw.

Leave a comment:

• Snaipersky
    replied
    What's this about an AMD path for Doom?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X