No announcement yet.

xf86-video-ati 6.10.0 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The r6xx/r7xx Xv code in the radeonhd r6xx-r7xx-support branch works now for planar formats.
    Last edited by agd5f; 08 January 2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

System still freezes after 20-30 minutes while using Firefox. This happens only when MigrationHeuristics greedy is not set. Hardware is a Mobility Radeon 9700.

Comment

The new driver works very well, though I'm getting some odd tearing in Xv.

Instead of the old diagonal line or triangle shape (which seems to be fixed!), now when there is motion in the image I get a repeated series of very shallow diagonal tears across the middle of the image, in a band. These seem almost horizontal until you look closely, but they are actually a series of very small diagonal tears.

This is on an X1550 PCIe. Xv tested in MythTV and in SMPlayer (mplayer).

Comment

I'm getting some strange behavior with 6.10.0. When I come back to the machine after a few hours (over night, etc) and move the mouse to wakeup the display, it wakes up for a second then blanks for a few secs and repeats a few more times. Total time varies between 10-30 secs (rough guess, seems a lot longer but I'm sure I'm just impatient)

My log contains a bunch of the following entries:
          Disable CRTC 0 success
          Blank CRTC 1 success
          Disable CRTC 1 success
          Enable CRTC 0 success
          Unblank CRTC 0 success
          Output 66 disable success
          Enable CRTC 0 success
          Unblank CRTC 0 success
          Output 66 enable success
          Blank CRTC 0 success

My card is a X1650Pro. Running "xrandr -q" doesn't reproduce it. And it was just fine in 6.9.0. I'd like to submit a real bug report but not sure of the URL of the tracker. I'd also like to know what other info would be useful.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
            The new driver works very well, though I'm getting some odd tearing in Xv.

Instead of the old diagonal line or triangle shape (which seems to be fixed!), now when there is motion in the image I get a repeated series of very shallow diagonal tears across the middle of the image, in a band. These seem almost horizontal until you look closely, but they are actually a series of very small diagonal tears.

This is on an X1550 PCIe. Xv tested in MythTV and in SMPlayer (mplayer).
            ^ Is anyone else having this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
              ^ Is anyone else having this issue?
              Try latest git (post 6.10.0), there is a possible fix to that problem:

Comment

Originally posted by calica View Post
                I'm getting some strange behavior with 6.10.0. When I come back to the machine after a few hours (over night, etc) and move the mouse to wakeup the display, it wakes up for a second then blanks for a few secs and repeats a few more times. Total time varies between 10-30 secs (rough guess, seems a lot longer but I'm sure I'm just impatient)

My log contains a bunch of the following entries:
                Disable CRTC 0 success
                Blank CRTC 1 success
                Disable CRTC 1 success
                Enable CRTC 0 success
                Unblank CRTC 0 success
                Enable CRTC 0 success
                Unblank CRTC 0 success
                Output 66 enable success
                Blank CRTC 0 success

My card is a X1650Pro. Running "xrandr -q" doesn't reproduce it. And it was just fine in 6.9.0. I'd like to submit a real bug report but not sure of the URL of the tracker. I'd also like to know what other info would be useful.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                  Try latest git (post 6.10.0), there is a possible fix to that problem:
                  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...d81b9bf32244a3
                  Weird missing link issue on the tracker, that's odd. I'll try the latest build from Tormod Volden's PPA. Thanks!

Comment

Just reinstalled my X1950 Pro. xf86-video-ati 6.10 seems to work nicely. I do have a few extra things enabled in xorg.conf, as per the suggestions on the radeon wiki:

Code:
                    Section "Device"
                    	Identifier	"Card0"
                    	Driver		"radeon"
                    	Option		"DPMS" "true"
                    	## Use EXA (faster) or XAA (merely fast)
                    	Option		"AccelMethod" "EXA"
                    	## For PCIe. Use accelerated EXA DownloadFromScreen hook.
                    	Option		"AccelDFS" "1"
                    	## Increases 3D performance substantially
                    	## possibly in XAA mode only
                    	Option		"EnablePageFlip"
                    	## 0 - 64 MB of gart (system) memory used.
                    	## Wrongly defaults to 8MB sometimes, so check logs.
                    	#Option		"GARTSize" "64"
                    	## Increases 3D performance substantially, supposedly
                    	Option		"ColorTiling" "1"
                    	Option		"DynamicClocks" "on"
                    EndSection
                    I do notice that according to my logs, EnablePageFlip is disabled in R500 and newer chips, so it seems that this option is definitely not needed when running in EXA mode on this card. Though I stuck the GARTSize option in there in case I needed it, I couldn't find any log hits that reported GART size, so it doesn't seem to be needed.

A quick run of glxgears shows that it's still reporting about 5500 FPS, same as with xf86-video-ati 6.9. (Edit: with mesa-7.3_rc2, it's now 5700 FPS, about 150 FPS faster.)

The last time I tried UT2004 with the radeon driver, I had to turn all settings down to minimum. There was still a fair amount of occasional slowdown in online matches. The card wasn't as good as my nVidia 7600GT running with the proprietary nvidia driver. Too bad -- the X1950 has at least twice the specs of the nVidia card, yet the FOSS drivers can't seem to fully utilize the hardware.

I fired up UT2004 again, and on servers with few to no players, I was able to play at almost the same settings. I usually play with max resolution and everything else at max on the nVidia card. I just had to turn off a few of the highest settings and reduce the detail distance for my X1950. Works for mostly empty maps. Maps full of players reduced the game to a 9FPS stutter-fest. Completely unworkable, so I'll have to do more tweaking.

More disturbing is that the new driver hard-locks my box sometimes! If I pull up the in-game menu with Escape, sometimes that hardlocks the box. The screen gets filled with graphical corruption -- triangles, colors, lines -- and doesn't respond.

I can't SSH into the box, so I have to hit the reset button. Not good.

Overall, the new driver is okay -- a bit faster for 2D work than even 6.9, and even a bit faster for 3D. But it's much, much more unstable for 3D usage. Kind of a mixed bag, I'm sorry to say.
                    Last edited by nightmorph; 15 January 2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X