Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI R300 Gallium3D Driver Seeing A Big Performance Fix After Being Regressed For Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R300 Gallium3D Driver Seeing A Big Performance Fix After Being Regressed For Years

Phoronix: ATI R300 Gallium3D Driver Seeing A Big Performance Fix After Being Regressed For Years

For those still running decade and a half old ATI Radeon graphics hardware like the Radeon Xpress 200M found in numerous notebooks back in the day, a performance regression in the R300 Gallium3D driver is being sorted out after concerned users on this vintage hardware began bisecting and testing patches for a regression to this old ATI open-source driver that appears to have been adversely affected back in 2017...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the end R300 will get a fix and possibly an perf optimization enabling the disk shader cache? So you can teach and old dog new tricks after all

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      setting a per-buffer flag to disable interprcoess sharing

Comment

a little while ago I tried blender 2.8 on a radeon hd 2000, I don't remember if it is based on this driver, it worked, visually, but it had problems with the selection of the objects .. I hope they solved even with these small defects

Comment

Originally posted by nokipaike View Post
          a little while ago I tried blender 2.8 on a radeon hd 2000, I don't remember if it is based on this driver, it worked, visually, but it had problems with the selection of the objects .. I hope they solved even with these small defects
          Nope, that uses the r600g, not the r300g driver.

Comment

Just recently I put x300 on a "power supply test rig" , just to check if power supply works. I booted recent ubuntu and I was shocked that desktop is totally snappy and scrolling 9gag on firefox was without lag. I did not test any games though.

Comment

What I really want fixed is the ability to use KMS on the old PowerPC CRT macs. My eMac has a Radeon 9600 and when KMS loads the screen goes black. Only way around is to use older software with UMS support, or nomodeset and fbdev.

Comment

We'll be waiting for extensive benchmarks with PTS.

Comment

Good news.
                  Improving the drivers also for older hardware makes Linux a real all-rounder.

phoronix (Michael) , have you already covered the following two Linux top stories?

1) The South Korean government is saying Goodbye to Windows and moving all their PCs to Linux. 17 May 2019:
                  The government will switch the operating system of its computers from Windows to Linux, the Ministry of the Interior and Safety said Thursday.The Interior Ministry said the ministry will be test-running Linux on its PCs, and if no security issues arise, Linux systems will be introduced more widely within the government. (Yonhap)The decision comes amid concerns about the cost of continuing to maintain Windows, as Micr...

2) The Russian Army is saying Goodbye to Windows and moving to their secure Linux named "Astra Linux" which is based on Debian and runs on many platforms including ARM. 3 June 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadrian View Post
                    1) The South Korean government is saying Goodbye to Windows and moving all their PCs to Linux. 17 May 2019:
                    http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190517000378
                    Wow, does that mean South Korea has finally ditched all the ActiveX websites?

Comment

Working...
                    X