Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI R300 Gallium3D Driver Seeing A Big Performance Fix After Being Regressed For Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R300 Gallium3D Driver Seeing A Big Performance Fix After Being Regressed For Years

Phoronix: ATI R300 Gallium3D Driver Seeing A Big Performance Fix After Being Regressed For Years

For those still running decade and a half old ATI Radeon graphics hardware like the Radeon Xpress 200M found in numerous notebooks back in the day, a performance regression in the R300 Gallium3D driver is being sorted out after concerned users on this vintage hardware began bisecting and testing patches for a regression to this old ATI open-source driver that appears to have been adversely affected back in 2017...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...mance-Fix-2019

• HyperDrive
    replied
    Originally posted by HyperDrive View Post
    Well, I tried it a couple of weeks ago, and the system came up. Just a black screen with a white ATi logo and a graphics card, with a flashing red power cable. I guess the BIOS (Open Firmware) Forth code correctly initialised the card, but it won't let the system boot without the power cable. 😉
    And the noise…! Dear God, the noise…! 😶

Leave a comment:

• HyperDrive
    replied
    Originally posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
    True. But in this case you have to worry about issues Mac-flashed cards (originally being PC-BIOS) can have.
    Well, I tried it a couple of weeks ago, and the system came up. Just a black screen with a white ATi logo and a graphics card, with a flashing red power cable. I guess the BIOS (Open Firmware) Forth code correctly initialised the card, but it won't let the system boot without the power cable. 😉

Leave a comment:

• schwarzygesetzlos
    replied
    True. But in this case you have to worry about issues Mac-flashed cards (originally being PC-BIOS) can have.

Leave a comment:

• HyperDrive
    replied
    Originally posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
    Did you try recent kernels? I have a G4 MDD and a G5 running with Radeon 9600/9800 cards. Even current 5.1.x or 5.0.x kernels work fine (or even better?) with KMS. On some card<->machine combinations the GPU locks up and resets when reaching the desktop. In this case you can use the kernel boot parameter "radeon.agpmode=-1" as workaround.
    Great! I have a X1950 XT (flashed) ready to install on my Power Mac G5 (just waiting for the power cable to arrive), so it's nice to know KMS is working. Fortunately my G5 is all PCIe, so I don't have to worry about buggy AGP bridges.

Leave a comment:

• schwarzygesetzlos
    replied
    Originally posted by esmth View Post
    What I really want fixed is the ability to use KMS on the old PowerPC CRT macs. My eMac has a Radeon 9600 and when KMS loads the screen goes black.
    Did you try recent kernels? I have a G4 MDD and a G5 running with Radeon 9600/9800 cards. Even current 5.1.x or 5.0.x kernels work fine (or even better?) with KMS. On some card<->machine combinations the GPU locks up and resets when reaching the desktop. In this case you can use the kernel boot parameter "radeon.agpmode=-1" as workaround.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    You got to love those news! *thumbsup*

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadrian View Post
    1) The South Korean government is saying Goodbye to Windows and moving all their PCs to Linux. 17 May 2019:
    http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190517000378
    Wow, does that mean South Korea has finally ditched all the ActiveX websites?

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian
    replied
    Good news.
    Improving the drivers also for older hardware makes Linux a real all-rounder.

phoronix (Michael) , have you already covered the following two Linux top stories?

1) The South Korean government is saying Goodbye to Windows and moving all their PCs to Linux. 17 May 2019:
    http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190517000378

2) The Russian Army is saying Goodbye to Windows and moving to their secure Linux named "Astra Linux" which is based on Debian and runs on many platforms including ARM. 3 June 2019.

Leave a comment:

• Buntolo
    replied
    We'll be waiting for extensive benchmarks with PTS.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X