Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's Marek Has A Patch Helping To Reduce Gallium3D Input Lag

Phoronix: AMD's Marek Has A Patch Helping To Reduce Gallium3D Input Lag

In addition to the work this week on exposing EXT_gpu_shader4 / EXT_texture_buffer_object, well known AMD open-source developer Marek Olšák has also been working a patch to help lower the input lag with Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool! This is an area where Mesa has been lagging... (Haha). Could there be tuneables? Metrics that you could turn on?

Comment

nice to see this, also the fact that it affects all gallium drivers is extra nice

Comment

Awesome! I really hope it fixes this VSync miscompliance:

​​​​​​

Comment

Input lag is so terrible, a relief that people in the Linux world care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            Input lag is so terrible, a relief that people in the Linux world care about it.
            Google's Stadia and the whole Linux gaming crowd are surely interested in any latency / input lag advancements on Linux. And as it gets more popular it should be also getting more attention for optimizations.

Comment

marek what is input lag in this context? As you cited Unigine Heaven example, is there any input in the sense of moving the camera around with the mouse/cursor, is this kind of input lag the patches tries to fix?

Comment

Thanks, the work here is much appreciated and valued!

I wonder how this would be tested (to validate changes and avoid regressions)

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  marek what is input lag in this context? As you cited Unigine Heaven example, is there any input in the sense of moving the camera around with the mouse/cursor, is this kind of input lag the patches tries to fix?
                  The lag is the time interval between the time you physically move the mouse with your hand and the time you see the effect on the screen (such as rotation of the camera view in Heaven).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    AMD has no money for a 4K monitor, weird.
                    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/218481.html

"I don't have a 4K monitor"
                    I could get 4K if I wanted to. I'm happy with 1440p though.

Comment

Working...
                    X