Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juhuuu View Post
    Hi there
    I recently encountered this problem with Ubuntu jaunty beta release.

System repeatingly freezes with Kwin Desktop Effects on after 10-30 Minutes mostly when opening new windows/sub-windows (ie "browse file").
    With Desktop effects off everything works absolutely fine, can run glexgears, vlc 720p movie and Goofge earth at the same time for hours...... .

Besides that I have massive tearing issues with Kwin + Desktop Effects and google earth - any ideas?

Bug is files under Ubuntu #351990 and 350766

greetz
    Sounds like same bug that is causing freeze in many opengl games. I noticed it first with xmoto.

for more details about bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/348450

Comment

I don't have random crashes, but I have a way to reproduce a crash with Firefox and Gecko Mediaplayer (an MPlayer Firefox plugin). If I go to a site that has video (not Flash, but normal ones that require a "media player plugin") and the plugin is configured to render video using the gl mplayer renderer, it plays fine, but when closing Firefox, the system hangs.

Since MPlayer and Firefox are userland, the one responsible for the hang has to be the driver.

Comment

Does this patch (against ati git master) help?

Comment

hmm, I'm getting random hangs on a HD4850, ie. compiz etc. not even supported. Has anyone seen hangs without a compositing desktop?

Currently using the jaunty radeon package, with no options in xorg.conf (exa acceleration according to the logs)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I don't have random crashes, but I have a way to reproduce a crash with Firefox and Gecko Mediaplayer (an MPlayer Firefox plugin). If I go to a site that has video (not Flash, but normal ones that require a "media player plugin") and the plugin is configured to render video using the gl mplayer renderer, it plays fine, but when closing Firefox, the system hangs.

Since MPlayer and Firefox are userland, the one responsible for the hang has to be the driver.
            Gah! Due to stupidity, I thought this thread was about Catalyst and not the open source driver...

Sorry for the noise

Comment

Slightly related, suspend/resume doesn't work for me using Ubuntu 9.04's Xorg stuff and my own compile of 2.6.29 kernel. Usually it just hangs on suspend. Sometimes I can run s2ram from a command line and it will suspend, but on resume it only partially redraws the screen and then it hangs again. (HD3450 in HP dv5z laptop.)

Hm, never mind. I just updated my git pulls and rebuilt, and it all worked.
              Last edited by highlandsun; 04 April 2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Kubuntu 9.04 beta 64 bit.
                Also experiencing freeze with desktop effects turned on.
                I did some research and come to this conclusion:
                On Kubuntu Alpha 6 everything worked fine, but with beta came kernel update and that is the time when problem has start to show up.
                I tried to use Compiz and worked flawlessly.
                Also when using Compositing type: XRender don't have any problems with randomly freezing.
                Hope this help to someone who is smarter then me, and solve the problem.

Comment

Has anyone find solution?

Comment

Here I was thinking it was happening only to me... Radeon 9600 Pro (AGP), clean xorg.conf, kubuntu jaunty beta x86_64

This is how the card is identified in xorg.0.log:
                    Code:
                    PCI:*(0@1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600] rev 0, Mem @ 0xc0000000/268435456, 0xe0030000/65536, I/O @ 0x0000c000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
                    The most frustrating part is that there is nothing in Xorg.0.log which points to any error.

Subscribed bug 351990, lets see if there are any improvements.
                    Last edited by jbernardo; 18 April 2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Since upgrading from xserver 1.3.0/xf86-video-ati-6.12 to 1.5.3/xf86-video-ati-6.12.1 I have the same issue:

When using firefox-2 or thunderbird I get very frequent hangs. The screen freezes and I hear a faint whistling noise from the computer (some CPU/GPU at 100%?). The mouse pointer is still alive but moves jerkily, updated a few times per second. I can sync disks and reboot with SysRq.

(Firefox 3 does not seem to trigger the bug.)

This is on an R420 JI, ChipID 0x4a49 (Radeon X800 Pro), AGP.

Comment

Working...
                      X