Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

latest Open Source ATI drivers on Ubuntu 8.10, need experimental 3d with FireGL 7200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latest Open Source ATI drivers on Ubuntu 8.10, need experimental 3d with FireGL 7200

I adapted the thread here on phoronix for the latest open source ATI drivers on Ubuntu for Intrepid (8.10) by correcting the repo to point to intrepid, and did all the relevant steps. I've rebooted, and still no 3D, and I believe this has to do with the family that my FireGL v7200 might be of (i'm not sure the precise chipset). I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could adapt either my current configuration, or external sources, so that i can get experimental 3D radeonhd support with my FireGL7200. here is the section from /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and still, no 3d (after the xorg-edgers updates):

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Option "DRI"
    Option "AccelMethod" "ShadowFB"
    # Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    Driver "radeonhd"
    EndSection

i think i saw someone refer to checking out git versions of mesa, a certain branch, it didn't really let me know the steps i could do, to make this happen, it was a little unclear to me, and I was hoping someone could fill, me in, as well as any others out there, as to how to acccomplish this.

thanks
    Last edited by germlin; 10 December 2008, 07:17 PM. Reason: typo

The version of radeonhd in the distro may be really old. Make sure you have a newer version or use radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by germlin View Post
      I adapted the thread here on phoronix for the latest open source ATI drivers on Ubuntu for Intrepid (8.10) by correcting the repo to point to intrepid, and did all the relevant steps. I've rebooted, and still no 3D, and I believe this has to do with the family that my FireGL v7200 might be of (i'm not sure the precise chipset). I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could adapt either my current configuration, or external sources, so that i can get experimental 3D radeonhd support with my FireGL7200. here is the section from /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and still, no 3d (after the xorg-edgers updates):

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      Option "DRI"
      Option "AccelMethod" "ShadowFB"
      # Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
      Driver "radeonhd"
      EndSection

i think i saw someone refer to checking out git versions of mesa, a certain branch, it didn't really let me know the steps i could do, to make this happen, it was a little unclear to me, and I was hoping someone could fill, me in, as well as any others out there, as to how to acccomplish this.

thanks
      radeonhd man page says:
      Code:
      shadowfb is a software-only acceleration technique. Does not work together with DRI at the moment.
      Try with EXA if you want to use radeonhd.

Comment

where does one get the latest radeonhd driver ?

is there a repo that i might be able to get some that are being tested ?

the one i had tried is the tormodvolden launchpad.net ppa entry. it seemed to load, though it would not display my xserver in 1920x1200 resolution so i had to switch to the ATI driver from that repo. the ati driver does do 3d effects ok, and i believe i am using the mesa & xorg from the xorg edgers ppa as well, and things seem to appear nicer.

i would like to try out other drivers though, if possible, and i'm unsure what repo will always have the latest radeonhd, and fglrx driver. i'm guessing, tormodvolden is it. then i should be ok. in its current state, its radeonhd wont do 1920x1200, so i cannot use it.

thanks so much for the help

Comment

Working...
        X