AMD Radeon Pro 18.Q3 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dfyt View Post
    plus I get too many games / benchmarks saying not enough memory with the open source drivers. When I have 8GB VRAM.
    I don't remember hearing about this - could you point us to some easy-to-test examples ? Are you seeing this more with OpenGL or Vulkan ?

As others have said, the PRO drivers are built on the same open source foundation but with closed source OpenGL, OpenCL and Vulkan on top.

We package both all-open and PRO versions of the drivers - the all-open version has the same kernel driver as PRO (same X driver as well IIRC) but replaces the closed-source userspace components with open source ones, eg MesaGL instead of our closed source GL, and the open source version of the AMD Vulkan driver rather than the closed source one.

The distro-packaged stacks are a bit different again, in the sense that they typically use radv instead of our Vulkan driver and use the modesetting X driver instead of the amdgpu X driver.

If we can narrow the difference you are seeing between (I'm guessing) distro-packaged open source and AMD-packaged PRO driver it should be pretty simple to deal with the issue you are seeing.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I don't remember hearing about this - could you point us to some easy-to-test examples ? Are you seeing this more with OpenGL or Vulkan ?

As others have said, the PRO drivers are built on the same open source foundation but with closed source OpenGL, OpenCL and Vulkan on top.

We package both all-open and PRO versions of the drivers - the all-open version has the same kernel driver as PRO (same X driver as well IIRC) but replaces the closed-source userspace components with open source ones, eg MesaGL instead of our closed source GL, and the open source version of the AMD Vulkan driver rather than the closed source one.

The distro-packaged stacks are a bit different again, in the sense that they typically use radv instead of our Vulkan driver and use the modesetting X driver instead of the amdgpu X driver.

If we can narrow the difference you are seeing between (I'm guessing) distro-packaged open source and AMD-packaged PRO driver it should be pretty simple to deal with the issue you are seeing.
      I forget the names so I will say "PRO" being the prebuilt DEB from AMD's site. and OS as Mesa / Latest with Manjaro or PPA
      RX480 and 580
      With regards to mem (256MB detected). I get it with Heaven, Valley, TeamFortress and DarkTable - PreBuilt DEB from AMD works fine.
      XCOM2 opens and runs fine with PRO
      Deus Ex - MD works and runs fine with Pro on 1440p

With OS
      XCOM2 doesn't even open
      Deus Ex - MD runs fine FPS wise but give it a couple minutes and the screen starts "bleeding" full black.
      TF doesn't even open - out of mem

Interestingly though with my 1070 tests the desktop (KDE) is way more response with the RX480 vs the 1070Ti WITH Prop drivers. So for desktop use OS is great.

Overall I just find with my dual 4k setup the RO drivers give less hassle. Heck with a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install it only picks one screen until I install PRO.

Ideally I would like to just use OS and have my OpenCL DartkTable, AftershotPro etc work fine.

Comment

I forget the names so I will say "PRO" being the prebuilt DEB from AMD's site. and OS as Mesa / Latest with Manjaro or PPA
        RX480 and 580
        With regards to mem (256MB detected). I get it with Heaven, Valley, TeamFortress and DarkTable - PreBuilt DEB from AMD works fine.

With OS
        XCOM2 doesn't even open
        Deus Ex - MD runs fine FPS wise but give it a couple minutes and the screen starts "bleeding" full black.

Interestingly though with my 1070 tests the desktop (KDE) is way more response with the RX480 vs the 1070Ti WITH Prop drivers. So for desktop use OS is great.

Overall I just find with my dual 4k setup the RO drivers give less hassle. Heck with a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install it only picks one screen until I install PRO.

Ideally I would like to just use OS and have my OpenCL DartkTable, AftershotPro etc work fine.
        I would recommend using the open source graphics drivers from the Padoka PPA and installing opencl from the pro drivers (--compute-only --headless or something). I do this personally for BOINC/darktable with my RX580 8GB and I know a few others around this forum do the same thing.

Comment

I forget the names so I will say "PRO" being the prebuilt DEB from AMD's site. and OS as Mesa / Latest with Manjaro or PPA.
          RX480 and 580
          Unfortunately both PRO and all-open are prebuilt .deb packages on AMD's site. These days I think we package them together and the install parameters determine whether you get PRO or all-open. Sounds like you are running PRO (specifically closed source OpenGL) though from what you mention below.

Interesting... IIRC the standard driver framework does not provide a way to communicate local memory. We added an extension to closed source GL but I thought it was added to the open driver as well. If it was not then that would probably explain what you are seeing...

With OS
          XCOM2 doesn't even open
          Hmm... I'm not a hundred percent sure but I thought at least Deus Ex and TF were working with the all-open driver. Not sure about XCOM2.

You should be able to do that now - it's one of the reasons we went to unified packaging. Download the packaged driver, choose the non-pro install, and then add the optional OpenCL components.
          Test signature

Comment

I'll post some screenshots when I get a gap, with respect to the OpenCL part I use Manjaro as my daily driver and occasionally dual boot ubuntu. Having said that I get better performance with OpenCL off with my Ryzen on some of the graphics apps. Seems they not fully optimised anyways but it was an issue before I went i7 > Ryzen.

Comment

Working...
            X