Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDKFD In Linux 4.19: Raven Ridge Support, GPU Reset Ability

Phoronix: AMDKFD In Linux 4.19: Raven Ridge Support, GPU Reset Ability

Coming in as a late pull request to DRM-Next for Linux 4.19 are the AMDKFD kernel driver changes that is the critical piece to the modern open-source AMD compute stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i am already capable of using opencl on raven via the opencl-amd aur package, but if i look into details it says it uses the pal/hsail driver and it is recogniced as "Unknown AMD GPU"
    so my questions are: will this kernel along with updated package make rocm available and will rocm perform better tham pal/hsail?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
      if i look into details it says it uses the pal/hsail driver and it is recogniced as "Unknown AMD GPU"
      so my questions are: will this kernel along with updated package make rocm available and will rocm perform better than pal/hsail?
      It will certainly perform *differently*:

(*for certain values of differently)

As someone in a similar kind of position (but I'm using 4.18, not Pro, and waiting for ROCm) what I understand is most of what was required for ROCm is in 4.18 and this is just bug fixes and extra features... what we're waiting for is the next major release of ROCm...

Comment

So finally we'll get a working GPU reset? Because it's simply not working now in amdgpu.
        Last edited by shmerl; 28 July 2018, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          So finally we'll get a working GPU reset? Because it's simply not working now in amdgpu.
          This would be awesome, GPU crashes are a constant annoyance and I need to reset my system.

Comment

GPU-internal resets sound interesting, so you can hopefully recover your system, but of course it would be best if the causes for hangs that require resets would be avoided at all - before resorting to resets.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              I don't think so, these patches just seem to wire up the already existing but broken gpu reset support for KFD.

Comment

The weird I didn't have this crashes before, now there are every time I played a game, without reason. At beginning I thought was my video card or PSU, cannot handle something, but I tried on windows if happen the same in old hard drive that I had, nothing happen there I can played, without issues. Right now I don't get it why I m getting lot gpu reset.

Comment

Working...
                X