Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 1.8 Compute Stack Released

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 1.8 Compute Stack Released

Following the slew of recent AMD/Radeon Linux driver updates, the ROCm 1.8.0 release was issued today for the Radeon Open Compute stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice that they provide a solution for us Piledriver users with PCIE2.0. Does it really work only with a VEGA though? I have a Tonga card and would like to have some proper OpenCL support for it since Clover really needs work. Are there plans to support Tonga too?

Comment

Nice, maybe it would be possible at some point in the future to support older hardware like HD7970 and pre-pcie 3.0 cpus and chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
        Nice, maybe it would be possible at some point in the future to support older hardware like HD7970 and pre-pcie 3.0 cpus and chipsets.
        Pre-PCIE 3.0 CPUs yes in principle (it involves per-GPU microcode changes among other things) but not HD7970 without major changes since ROCm is built over the HSA hardware features which started getting added in the CI generation (HD7970 is SI).

That said, the new OpenCL-over-PAL code paths should work fine on SI since they use kernel queues rather than userspace compute queues..
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          ROCm is built over the HSA hardware features which started getting added in the CI generation (HD7970 is SI).
          Previous ROCm drivers (around v.1.4) supported FirePro S9150. I wonder if it would be possible to use this newest ROCm release with S9150?

Comment

~$ clinfo
            Number of platforms 0

1.7.2 was working fine.

Comment

Got OpenCL up and running again but on the legacy driver this time. Downloaded AMDGPU-PRO 18.20 Preview and picked the .deb's for the CL driver and it's dependencies and installed with dpkg. Bonus: It works on Debian Sid's 4.16 kernel, unlike ROCm, and only the OpenCL driver was installed so I'm still using Mesa 18.0 from Debian Sid repo for OpenGL.

Edit:

Install
              Code:
              sudo dpkg -i amdgpu-core amdgpu-pro-core amdgpu-dkms libdrm2-amdgpu libdrm-amdgpu-amdgpu1 ids-amdgpu clinfo-amdgpu-pro opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd libopencl1-amdgpu-pro opencl-amdgpu-pro opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd
              Code:
              sudo apt-mark auto amdgpu-core amdgpu-pro-core amdgpu-dkms libdrm2-amdgpu libdrm-amdgpu-amdgpu1 ids-amdgpu clinfo-amdgpu-pro opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd libopencl1-amdgpu-pro opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd
              Uninstall
              Code:
              sudo apt autoremove opencl-amdgpu-pro
              Last edited by Brisse; 11 May 2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Great news!

Good to see RHEL and CentOS supported!

I like Ubuntu, but a lot of commercial and research shops in my experience like Redhat or derivatives.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Please convey my apprecitation to the ROCm devs!

Comment

I've tried to get the OpenCL driver from ROCm working. I've extracted the required files from the RHEL RPMs. It didn't work because two libraries are missing: libamdocl64.so and libamdocl12cl64.so. Once I copied those from amdgpu-pro, it started to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X