Uniform Packing For RadeonSI NIR, Helps Reduce CPU Overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    In the beginning, I remember playing it on a R9 290 and having to lower the settings to achieve 60 FPS at 1080p. But today AMD's opensource drivers are good enough to max things out, but still do not allow me to have stable 120 FPS as in Windows.

But to be fair, today is good enough to even play in a modest A8 7800 APU at 1600@900, medium settings and above 60 FPS.
    R9 290 too here. If I set everything to medium on my PC I can barely hold 60fps on some maps at 1080p on Linux CS:GO while I get >150fps on Windows with everything set to high.
    And I doubt this is a driver issue. It's also stuttering a lot on Linux. I played other games on Linux and they worked fine, but CS:GO is just sad.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

R9 290 too here. If I set everything to medium on my PC I can barely hold 60fps on some maps at 1080p on Linux CS:GO while I get >150fps on Windows with everything set to high.
      And I doubt this is a driver issue. It's also stuttering a lot on Linux. I played other games on Linux and they worked fine, but CS:GO is just sad.
      Just between you and me, I believe not all Valve teams are happy with Gabe's gamble on Linux. When you see the state of all Valve's ports, that impression grew stronger on me.

Comment

It was millennia since I played CS:GO on Windows, and I had a different configuration back then anyway, so I never got to compare it, but I was under impression that it ran faster due to this reddit post – is it just plain wrong or has things changed (for bad of worse) during some game updates? Or maybe there's some just some obscure performance issue requiting a precise configuration to not dip the frames?

Comment

It may be better with nvidia cards/drivers. I can't tell you that.
          But for me it got worse over the years. Probably because it became more demanding (map updates, model updates, finer collision detection, ...).
          What you also don't see in these benchmarks is lags. There are noticeable small lags under linux on my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
            What you also don't see in these benchmarks is lags. There are noticeable small lags under linux on my PC.
            I got heavy stuttering, but only if the game wasn't reaching 60 FPS threshold of my monitor refresh rate (60hz) – normally that's not issue for me (RX 580 8G), but when I had to play with integrated GPU I had to drop the resolution to 800x600 to play it smoothly for a while, though I haven't really got to troubleshoot the issue (plus my CPU wasn't running in performance mode).

Comment

Working...
            X