Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Packing For RadeonSI NIR, Helps Reduce CPU Overhead

Phoronix: Uniform Packing For RadeonSI NIR, Helps Reduce CPU Overhead

Timothy Arceri of Valve's open-source Linux GPU driver team is out with his latest set of patches to further enhance the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I doubt this will have any effect when the GPU is the bottleneck, but CPU overhead on these drivers has sometimes been a problem. I'm curious if this would close the performance gap vs Window in some games. I think games that reach very high frame rates (like CS:GO) would be interesting to benchmark.

Either way this is great news - I'm sure stuff like this is welcome to laptop users.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 14 March 2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

CS:GO is a bad OGL port and uses some kind of wrapper.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        CS:GO is a bad OGL port and uses some kind of wrapper.
        Not wanting to bite the hand that feed us, but Valve ports on Linux is always a disappointment to me. Not only they never reach he same performance of the Windows versions, but they also lacks the same surround sound effects. At last in L4D2, the support is present but is broken. Also this game do not show the Brazilian Portuguese language, that is available on Windows. These problems did not stop me to accumulate more than 2,000 hours on that game, thought...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Valve ports on Linux is always a disappointment to me. Not only they never reach he same performance of the Windows versions,
          but you also lived in alternative universe for several years http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            but you also lived in alternative universe for several years http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Sure, I played 2200 hours of it on other universe... Since I played it on AMD cards, it must be the other universe you talked about.

That was done on a modest system, a Pentium G3220 and a GTX660, a couple years ago. As you can see, Valve started well, since L4D2 was their first port, but since them it was down hill.

Comment

It's even worse with CS:GO (as already mentioned). I went back to play CS:GO in windows.

Comment

Sure, I played 2200 hours of it on other universe... Since I played it on AMD cards, it must be the other universe you talked about.
                sure you skipped class where meaning of word "never" was taught
                and also you are benchmarking same app with two different drivers and blaming app

Comment

That was done on a modest system, a Pentium G3220 and a GTX660, a couple years ago. As you can see, Valve started well, since L4D2 was their first port, but since them it was down hill.
                  L4D2 is relatively well playable with RadeonSI (I'd say quite less stuttering than with Nvidia), but CS:GO is really too bad. A real trash port, interestingly it runs as bad with wine-staging-nine.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    L4D2 is relatively well playable with RadeonSI (I'd say quite less stuttering than with Nvidia), but CS:GO is really too bad. A real trash port, interestingly it runs as bad with wine-staging-nine.
                    In the beginning, I remember playing it on a R9 290 and having to lower the settings to achieve 60 FPS at 1080p. But today AMD's opensource drivers are good enough to max things out, but still do not allow me to have stable 120 FPS as in Windows.

But to be fair, today is good enough to even play in a modest A8 7800 APU at 1600@900, medium settings and above 60 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                    X