No announcement yet.

Catalyst 8.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get the message with gentoo but when I start amdcccle, my monitor is flickering for several seconds and my xorg.0.log is spammed with modelines crap. Annoying.
    That put aside, this is the most stable driver I have tried so far. Not one lockup on switching between vt and X so far. No problems at all. I am really pleased with this release.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      if amdcccle segfaults the installation is incomplete. Please visit this bug:

and download the latest ebuild from cvs, if an emerge --sync does not get it for you.

edit: don't download the ebuild or the files from the bug. The url is just for information.
      Thanks. An updated ebuild is in portage now and it fixed the problem

Gotta say though that the Catalyst Drivers are still total crap. So much time passed and still... I'm keeping the open source "radeon" driver for the old X1950XT. Using Catalyst for the 4870 only because that's the only option for this card :P

Comment

I noticed another problem. When using 3D (no matter if it's Wine, a native OpenGL game/app or mplayer using the OpenGL renderer), everything freezes completely every 10 seconds for about 1 second. Anyone else with that problem? This makes the drivers quite useless.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I noticed another problem. When using 3D (no matter if it's Wine, a native OpenGL game/app or mplayer using the OpenGL renderer), everything freezes completely every 10 seconds for about 1 second. Anyone else with that problem? This makes the drivers quite useless.
          Does dmesg spit out anything useful?

Comment

do you have nopat as kernel option?

Comment

No kernel messages and PAT is enabled in the kernel.

I'm not going to pursue this further anyway since 8.11 heavily destabilized my Gentoo installation (data corruption; see http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13985)

So for me 8.11 is a disaster. Waiting for 8.12.

Comment

Maybe check your ram in the time you don't emerge something

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
                  Try it like this (IIRC yuv=4 is better as 5 has the same colourspace problem as xv)

mplayer -vo gl:yuv=4:force-pbo:ati-hack

1080p if it's high bitrate h264 may eat all your Cpu whatever output you use.
                  Thanks for the tip. Here's what I ended up using.

mplayer -vo gl:yuv=4:swapinterval=1:force-pbo:ati-hack -dr -noslices

The -dr was what made the difference in speed for me. Without it, mplayer would claim dropped frames on a 480p mpeg-2 clip that I recorded on mythtv. Any resolution higher I had to switch to xv.

Comment

I was interested in buying a radeon 4870 or 4850 but after seeing that ATI is still a huge problem, I will take care of my nvidia 7300 GT (that just works).

Comment

Originally posted by kir? View Post
                      I was interested in buying a radeon 4870 or 4850 but after seeing that ATI is still a huge problem, I will take care of my nvidia 7300 GT (that just works).
                      Yeh i considering something similar. Think i will go for a mainboard with integrated geforce 9300... its just not worth my time to go with an ati board.

Comment

Working...
                      X