Catalyst 8.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falloutboy View Post
    anyone else having trouble to get this driver working on a 780g + HD3200 onboard card?

Everything installs fine, fglrx module loads, but when I start X the screen stays black. No errors in the log, just a "giving up." at the end of startx.

I'm using gentoo, btw.
    if you follow bug Bug 246672 you will see that the ebuild is not copping two files now required to work... I had the same problem i just had to
    Code:
    #>cp /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r1/work/x740/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/
    #>cp /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r1/work/x740/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/
    After setting it to keep the work directory.

Comment

hello,

i only get a black screen when i tried to start x with the driver.

there were no errors during the installtion

i've got a radeon x1650 pro, 2.6.26 x86_64 debian kernel

Code:
      Failed to load modue "dri"
      /usr/bin/X11/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so : undefinied symbol: firegl_QueryMCRange
      Last edited by paddy; 17 November 2008, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Just thought I'd note to be careful to those gentoo folks copying the files across - keep an eye on what happens in future with the ebuilds. Some things may or may not be changed, and as such manually copying files over now may lead to problems later. Not saying not to do so, just saying to remember what you've done, and be able to put things back the way they were.

Comment

Originally posted by paddy View Post
          hello,

i only get a black screen when i tried to start x with the driver.

there were no errors during the installtion

i've got a radeon x1650 pro, 2.6.26 x86_64 debian kernel

Code:
          Failed to load modue "dri"
          /usr/bin/X11/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so : undefinied symbol: firegl_QueryMCRange
          I see this error too, Fedora 10 with Xserver 1.5.2 with kernel 2.6.27.5. I'm pretty sure this is caused by Xorg not loading libfglrxdrm.so file, but I have no idea why Xorg would refuse to autoload it/ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by ben0 View Post
            thanks a lot. that worked great. I switched back to 8.8 as well so that I could use force-pbo. Unfortunately even with that, I still couldn't play 1080p mpeg2. Here's what I used for mplayer

vo=gl,yuv=5,swapinterval=1,force-pbo,ati-hack

Do you set any other switches in order to play 1080p? thanks.
            Try it like this (IIRC yuv=4 is better as 5 has the same colourspace problem as xv)

mplayer -vo gl:yuv=4:force-pbo:ati-hack

1080p if it's high bitrate h264 may eat all your Cpu whatever output you use.

Comment

Originally posted by n3cr0 View Post
              if you follow bug Bug 246672 you will see that the ebuild is not copping two files now required to work... I had the same problem i just had to
              Code:
              #>cp /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r1/work/x740/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/
              #>cp /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r1/work/x740/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/
              After setting it to keep the work directory.
              that didn't help, but I discovered debug/error output in dmesg when starting X.
              Code:
              KBD BUG in ../../../../../../../../drivers/2d/lnx/fgl/drm/kernel/mc_heap_manager.c at line: 947!
              int3: 0000 [#1] SMP
              Here is the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                Just thought I'd note to be careful to those gentoo folks copying the files across - keep an eye on what happens in future with the ebuilds. Some things may or may not be changed, and as such manually copying files over now may lead to problems later. Not saying not to do so, just saying to remember what you've done, and be able to put things back the way they were.

Well just for reference the files being replaced belong to xorg-server so either make a backup of the current files, or just emerge -1 xorg-server to restore the original files.

I have the buildpkg feature turned on so backups of all the software built are in one location.

Comment

error - it is a bug. If you can reproduce it, try disabling heap randomization - does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by n3cr0 View Post
                    Well just for reference the files being replaced belong to xorg-server so either make a backup of the current files, or just emerge -1 xorg-server to restore the original files.

I have the buildpkg feature turned on so backups of all the software built are in one location.
                    might not work because of file collisions. I made a backup of the files, so I can move them back, when the need arises.

Comment

On fresh ubuntu 8.10 (hd2400 pro agp) after following this guide we get the next present:

Code:
                      module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (1)

Failed to load module "dri" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
                      This catalyst brother makes me mad!

Btw, open source driver is good but weak at video playback damn it. All I want is inet, musik and filmzzz in the Saturday evening! Damn, but I spend more and more time in Windblowz, though the "tearing" effect is present there too...

Comment

Working...
                      X