R600 Gallium3D Now Effectively At OpenGL 4.4, A Nudge Away From GL 4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 Gallium3D Now Effectively At OpenGL 4.4, A Nudge Away From GL 4.5

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Now Effectively At OpenGL 4.4, A Nudge Away From GL 4.5

As a follow-up to the article a few days ago about nearly complete OpenGL 4.4~4.5 support for R600g, this pre-GCN older Radeon Gallium3D driver has landed in Mesa 18.1-dev Git support for its final OpenGL 4.4 extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Saw this earlier! Gives me hope for having 4.5 compatibility! I wonder if it would be possible to have Vulkan and 4.6 someday...

Comment

Grammaro - "There likely will various driver fixes needed"

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        Saw this earlier! Gives me hope for having 4.5 compatibility! I wonder if it would be possible to have Vulkan and 4.6 someday...
        The end of the article explicitly states that won't happen. But, I suppose it could happen with the help of software rasterizers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          The end of the article explicitly states that won't happen.
          i'm pretty sure the end of the article is wrong. spir-v support does not require vulkan support. spir-v extension is there to allow distribution of binary shaders

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Both Vulkan drivers (Rad-V and AMDVLK) use the amdgpu kernel driver, which doesn't support pre-GCN graphics cards.

Comment

Great development... gives hope that pre-GCN users will be able to drop the dead Fglrx (which has been duct-tapped to work with modern kernels but not the latest X-servers) while retaining GL 4.5...at least cards with hardware 64-bit floating point execution cores. I wonder what is missing at the hardware level for a Vulkan driver to be written for pre-GCN Evergreen and Northern Islands GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                Great development... gives hope that pre-GCN users will be able to drop the dead Fglrx (which has been duct-tapped to work with modern kernels but not the latest X-servers) while retaining GL 4.5...at least cards with hardware 64-bit floating point execution cores. I wonder what is missing at the hardware level for a Vulkan driver to be written for pre-GCN Evergreen and Northern Islands GPUs?
                Driver dev with way too much spare time

Comment

Trust me, even at GL3.3 the r600g driver is better than fglrx across the entire board. And then there's fglrx's completely shitty DDX driver, it -is- the worst DDX driver ever. Simply put, every r600 class card user should be using r600g.

Vulkan has several subsets designed specifically for limited hardware, and r600 class cards can support one of those subsets... But those subsets were made for things like smart phones or infotainment systems and such. So I doubt very much it's worth the effort.
                  Last edited by duby229; 29 January 2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

As i understand basically anything that can support GL 4.3 should be able to do Vulkan also.

Comment

Working...
                    X