SUSE+NVIDIA Makes The Graphics Binary Driver Easier To Deploy On Tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    As a general rule, if it works in SLES then it works in OpenSUSE Leap. That's the whole point of Leap, its basically a free SLES, SUSE's equivalent of CentOS of RedHat.
    I know, that's why I brought it up.
    I had a bad Ryzen experience on Leap 42.3, so I left for other shores... Maui, it is a magical place!
    Leap did not recognize my CPU properly: even with the 4.12 kernel it only recognized one thread out of the 12 I have. I guess some proprietary firmware package was missing, which in turn means that it was not in the official repos. I would not want to use a 3rd party repository for stuff like that.

I might return to Leap or Tumbleweed on my personal PC, because of my work. A switch from RHEL to SLES is looming on the horizon for our partners, and it might be more convenient to use the same system on my desktop that I use during work.

It all depends on what sort of experience I will have on the Maui(-KDE Neon-Kubuntu) side of things.
    Even if I do not return, I would like to contribute to translations in YaST and more importantly: KDE.
    Their Hungarian translations are terrible and often missing.
    Last edited by OneBitUser; 11 August 2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
      I might return to Leap or Tumbleweed on my personal PC, because of my work. A switch from RHEL to SLES is looming on the horizon for our partners, and it might be more convenient to use the same system on my desktop that I use during work.
      I'm a bit curious, why are they switching?
      (if you can tell this anyway)

Comment

One reason is because SUSE has much better technical support. RHEL support lines are a disaster in motion.

Comment

I think it is partly a because of what dweigert has mentioned, but also: mergers, mergers, mergers...
          All the info is public, you just have to piece it together, actually makes a lot of sense.
          As far as I know, SUSE has been gaining market share in the enterprise linux market at the expense of Red Hat for a few years now.

Comment

Working...
          X