SUSE+NVIDIA Makes The Graphics Binary Driver Easier To Deploy On Tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    It's the way of things. Help people => get burnt to the stake. Because.
    No.
    He was pointing out that Fedora got flamed for doing this same thing, while for OpenSUSE tumbleweed it's all niceness and kittens.

EDIT: forgot a HAIL SUSE! (may the all-seeing chameleon forgive me)
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 August 2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
      openSUSE and nVidia?
      More like NVIDIA and NVIDIA with some minor consulting from SUSE, as the RPM comes from a third party repo hosted by NVIDIA themselves.

Comment

If they are serious about it, it has to mean that Nvidia will cope better with necessary changes for new kernels/Xorgs than until now (it's not bad with bleeding edge driver branches for current card gens, but a risk remains).
        I also hope they took care about proper Zypper hooks for Xorg updates. Afterall, a very welcome (and overdue) change.

Comment

Great news for nVidia GPU users. For my needs, openSUSE (Leap) is the best linux distro, and I would like to use it for pro openGL and CL tasks (for CAD and compute). But I'm still waiting for official amdgpu-pro dirver for Leap. I would rather use Ubuntu (based distro) with amdgpu-pro or Windows than nVidia card and openSUSE :|

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            No.
            He was pointing out that Fedora got flamed for doing this same thing, while for OpenSUSE tumbleweed it's all niceness and kittens.

EDIT: forgot a HAIL SUSE! (may the all-seeing chameleon forgive me)
            Yes. Fedora did a good thing and got burnt for it. Because people felt like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
              But I'm still waiting for official amdgpu-pro dirver for Leap. I would rather use Ubuntu (based distro) with amdgpu-pro or Windows than nVidia card and openSUSE :|
              What do you want from amdgpu-pro? The open source OpenCL driver is out so hopefully that will become usable.

Comment

Oh, thanks for the heads-up! I was already using the Bumblebee repository that packaged NVIDIA drivers with DKMS, so this is not much of a change, but it's nice to see more official support for it.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                More like NVIDIA and NVIDIA with some minor consulting from SUSE, as the RPM comes from a third party repo hosted by NVIDIA themselves.
                No, NVIDIA just provides the hosting space. The RPMs are built by openSUSE. Same is true for Leap ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
                  Great news for nVidia GPU users. For my needs, openSUSE (Leap) is the best linux distro, and I would like to use it for pro openGL and CL tasks (for CAD and compute). But I'm still waiting for official amdgpu-pro dirver for Leap. I would rather use Ubuntu (based distro) with amdgpu-pro or Windows than nVidia card and openSUSE :|
                  I think the SLES/SLED driver is available for Leap, at least I seem to remember that the installation script checked if the installation target distro was SLES/SLED or openSUSE.

Comment

This makes it easier to *get* drivers for openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Whereas they will actually work is an entirely different manner.

Because, hey, it's 2017, why should Nvidia jump into the Kernel Mode Setting like everybody else ?
                    Why not just completely fuck up the console display after the laptop sleeps ? And randomly crash on sleep wake-ups ? and cause the display remain dark or even crash the whole system ?

Thank you Nvidia, but no. I'll stay on Nouveau for my laptop.
                    And build every other system where I have more choice on AMD Radeons.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
                      I think the SLES/SLED driver is available for Leap, at least I seem to remember that the installation script checked if the installation target distro was SLES/SLED or openSUSE.
                      Yes, the install script does check for OpenSUSE. Last time I tried it ( months ago) was a bit broken though and required some help to actually recognize my Leap, but it did have the code to check for OpenSUSE too.

As a general rule, if it works in SLES then it works in OpenSUSE Leap. That's the whole point of Leap, its basically a free SLES, SUSE's equivalent of CentOS of RedHat.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 11 August 2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X