No announcement yet.

New Nvidia driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu does not write any res in the xorg.conf, so Xorg has to detect it automatically. In most cases it works, but some monitors have "funny" EDID data, like those which are optimized for standard hd tv timinigs - via hdmi. Therefore you often have got 1920x1080i/p support when the display is only 1680x1050 native. This way the res is suboptimal in autodetect mode of course and you have to force the correct one.

Comment

Originally posted by sevilnatas View Post
      Thanks for the help but I think I am to much of a newb. Short of a HOWTO, I am totally lost. I do appreciate your effort though. Maybe if I come back in a few months, it'll be in the basic set of drivers.

s.
      I had quite the same problem... Is your display connected on DVI?
      If it is, try with a regular VGA cable...

The recent updates, either from nVidia or Xorg, screwed up the EDID data recovery when it's connected with DVI. I've entered lots of bugs about that and few people had the same problem. I hope it'll be fixed one day.

Comment

New drivers spotted on the Cuda download page (for RHEL at least). (174.55)

Comment

Have anyone tried them?

Comment

It doesn't compile on my machine, running a 2.6.25.3 kernel.

Comment

Gonna give it a go, but I doubt it'll work or if there'll be performance gains, not much of a number increase. 173->174

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
                Well...Michael's estimate of a new driver within the next week has gone down the plug hole. Now it's your turn deanjo!

I WIN!!!! w00t!!!

Comment

Working...
                X